for anyone with soaking wet foot wells!

redballs

Dec 5, 2018
this might help Anyone who has puddles in their footwells, VAG
i have a 2005 Leon Fr150 Diesel. about 2 months ago i changed the front door speakers for pioneer components. see where this is going...!!!
my dad went to put in some screen wash in for me. looking for the bonnet pull, he realized i had a 'water feature'!! front and rear drivers side floormats were soaked to the touch. oh dear! time to rip out the whole interior!
i put the problem down to a a small tear in the rubber along the driver sill. it was replaced, and it done nothing! the leaks persisted, and i had to sponge out a minimum of a litre of water per day. i live in ireland, and its Nov/Dec, so weather is very crap!
i started looking on the net for VAG footwells full of water and i was Very surprised! lots of people experiencing similar problems.
i read a lot of posts, and watched a lot of vids. i found a post from a guy with a Passat. the rear door speakers were replaced under warranty, and his car began taking on water in both rear footwells. the rear door skin seals had failed, and this was the the cause of his leak. he stated they had been replaced by an apprentice, and he failed to notice the issue he was creating, same as myself with my front speakers
So, my problem... in changing my front door speakers, i had to remove the old ones. as we know, they are riveted in place. i opted to drill off the rivets with an 8mm bit. in pressing against, and causing vibration in that lower corner of the door skin, i inadvertently destroyed the seal, and failed to realize. the car is nearly 15 years old, and also its components. had i not touched the speakers all would be fine, but alas, here i am, with with what i hope to be an answer for some peoples problem.
i have just finished gutter sealing both front doors, and the weather is terrible for the next few days!
anyone with soaked floors, please remove you door panels, and press against the bottom corners of the skin to see if it leaks or if its moist.
if you have aftermarket speakers installed, or if an alarm installer had the door card off, or a window tinter, anything like that. this might help
thanks to everyone who posted. had it not been for all you good people, i would be lost. my car would be at a dealer and i would be charged a fortune because they are brain dead idiots!
the good news... this fix cost me 10euro for the sealant! and also, while i have the entire interior removed, i can wire the car for some proper sound!!

Reactions: 05ash09 and Burn4

redballs

Dec 5, 2018
its official!! just after a nite of rain, and the interior is bone dry!! not a drop of water inside for the the first time in at least a month!
this fix, and it most certainly Is a fix, cost me less than 10euro to fix, and iv seen posts where people have to wait a week or 2 on a main dealer to figure it out(most of the time they dont).
once again, thanks to everyone that posts. it really helped me, i am very grateful

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.