Forge vs. Seat Sport Front Mount?

Jan 9, 2008
Sandbach
I'm in the hunt for a front mount on my TDi FR, and the obvious 2 are the Forge Front Mount kit, and the Seat Sport with Forge Pipeing.

Can anybody give a quick comparison of the 2, to help me choose which to go for?!

Joens

Jan 18, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Forge will fit behind facelift bumber, SeatSport needs some cutting to make it fit. SeatSport is larger (core) and therefore better for higher bhp's. SeatSport with forge piping kit could possibly be even cheaper than full forge kit. I'd go for SeatSport.

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
BOTH need cutting of the bumper to fit. I know as I've had both. ;)

The FORGE one, you need to cut MASSES out of the crash bar/slam panel too to get the inlet/outlet to fit! REALLY isnt a safe design at all!

If you're gonna do it, do it properly.

Forge:

Photo0558-1.jpg

Photo0559.jpg

Forge in comparison to SEAT Sport:

Photo0563.jpg

Photo0564.jpg

Photo0565.jpg

Photo0566.jpg

Bigger inlet/outlet on the intercooler with the SEAT, it's thicker and bigger - what more could you ask for?

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
ibiza130 - do the forge pipes or samco hoses make a big difference?

Quite a bit if you're going for good amounts of power. I'm gonna be running a hybrid turbo soon so need these pipes really! :lol: Otherwise it'd just blow the standard ones off all the time! :doh:

There is one pipe on the standard pipework that goes nearly flat so it fits between the crash bar and bumper with no modifications needed, good idea - but VERY restrictive! So bad idea! :lol:

How long roughly would it take a garage to fit a Seat FMIC with Forge piping?

You can do it yourself - you dont have to be a mechanic. The hardest bit is getting the bumper off. And that's a doddle. I mean, I do it for a job so am maybe bias! :lol: But at the end of the day, it's just big meccano. ;) Only nuts and bolts - cant go wrong. :)

jamiebennett81

is it me, but isn't that bend quite sharp and should be a smooth curve?

Photo0559.jpg

also with it being twin pass, did notice a pressure drop (more than single pass?)

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
is it me, but isn't that bend quite sharp and should be a smooth curve?

also with it being twin pass, did notice a pressure drop (more than single pass?)

That is a sharp bend yes - but you only get that with the FORGE Fmic. The Seat Sport doesnt have it and is a lot better fitting, alot sturdier AND a bit bigger pipework than the FORGE cooler. Also - you can see it comes from the cooler, back on itself greater than 90 degrees, then goes down to another pipe which takes it back the other way nearly 90 degrees again!!! The Seat sport one just has one 90 pipe off the cooler, then goes straight to the bottom pipe and along the engine bay. MUCH better setup!

And twin passes are the only option for the Mk4 Ibiza....you can get a single pass made but by the time you've ran the pipework all round the engine bay - you're gonna get some lag! :lol:

I didn't notice any pressure issues admittedly....

Last edited:

jamiebennett81

That is a sharp bend yes - but you only get that with the FORGE Fmic. The Seat Sport doesnt have it and is a lot better fitting, alot sturdier AND a bit bigger pipework than the FORGE cooler. Also - you can see it comes from the cooler, back on itself greater than 90 degrees, then goes down to another pipe which takes it back the other way nearly 90 degrees again!!! The Seat sport one just has one 90 pipe off the cooler, then goes straight to the bottom pipe and along the engine bay. MUCH better setup!

And twin passes are the only option for the Mk4 Ibiza....you can get a single pass made but by the time you've ran the pipework all round the engine bay - you're gonna get some lag! :lol:

I didn't notice any pressure issues admittedly....

The Seat sport one as in "OEM from Seat?"

if that is the case then Forge's design is quite poor in this instance from looking at the bends

the FMIC on the MK3 ibiza cupra which I had was much better quality in terms of pipework

odd that is seems such poor quality from Forge:blink:

LoDa

Oct 12, 2008
Southampton
just to check, is the seat sport FMIC the same as the standard FMIC on the Cupra PD160? Mine has some superficial damage and I'm having a shop around for a replacment

ben-ducky

Feb 25, 2008
Llanelli, S Wales
Ibiza 130 Tdi- how much did it cost you all in for the Seat Sport FMIC fitted inc all pipework etc? Im assuming that you've replaced your clutch also to cope with the increase in power?

Jan 9, 2008
Sandbach
Well I think based on the comparison images alone I think i'll go with the Seat Sport FMIC. Just gotta search for the best deal now :)

jamiebennett81

ive got i forge fmic on my petrol FR didnt take long to fit but did have to cut some out of the crash bar...

cut the crash bar?

does it not come with a modified crash bar as standard with the kit?

jamest87

lead foot
Feb 10, 2009
thanet. margate
The Seat sport one as in "OEM from Seat?"

if that is the case then Forge's design is quite poor in this instance from looking at the bends

the FMIC on the MK3 ibiza cupra which I had was much better quality in terms of pipework

odd that is seems such poor quality from Forge:blink:

i know what you mean jamie for what i payed for mine it i thought it was going to be spot on!!!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members