Foul noise on cold startup

sargey

Escaped mental patient
Aug 16, 2006
Weston-super-crapland
Everytime i start the engine when its been sitting for long periods of times i get a horrible noise from the engine bay. It sounds as if there is a huge hole in the exhaust making it really loud, the revs are higher (over 1000 rpm) and the boost is higher than idle

after about 2 minutes it stops anyone got any ideas?

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Secondary air pump. It blasts air into the cats to help them start working quickly and more effectively from cold.

sargey

Escaped mental patient
Aug 16, 2006
Weston-super-crapland
so its normal to sound like crap when cold, thats ok, i thought it might have been a standard feature but some days it sounds really bad just hoped it wasnt a problem. Nice idea shame it sounds like crap when i start it every day

The MoffMeister

Half Hoff, Half Moff.
Apr 4, 2006
colchester
have a look for a plastic pipe that runs from the left side of the engine round it towards the back its like a ribbed black pipe that clips into the secondary air pump that may be loose!! if you need a pic just ask!

The MoffMeister

Half Hoff, Half Moff.
Apr 4, 2006
colchester
CopyofDSC000341-1.jpg

follow the purple line and its a ribbed plastic pipe underneath the engine covers where you have to unclip them with a screw driver.

at the end where the arrow is pointing there is where the plastic pipe clips onto a circular metal bit when starting up car from cold you should feel loads of air pushing out this indicates that the pipe is loose if nothing is felt then im unsure!!

it looks like the plastic pipe i have with the breather on the end!

sargey

Escaped mental patient
Aug 16, 2006
Weston-super-crapland
ill go have a browse now, havnt started the car cos been at work. will let u know on my findings. could solve the mystery.
jinkies shaggy, maybe you could just be right? (would be a first too for shaggy) LMAO, i watch too much tv

sargey

Escaped mental patient
Aug 16, 2006
Weston-super-crapland
is it a silver cylindrical shaped thing it plugs into? if so then couldnt feel any air leaking, it only lasted about 30 seconds then went back to normal.

so it should be fine then

The MoffMeister

Half Hoff, Half Moff.
Apr 4, 2006
colchester
thats the one i was on about it happened to mine like that plus had crap maf so thought that might be unless you've pushed it in without realising as they are tricky to click back in.

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
yer its the same! nothing to worry about its some cold start up system ive worked on audi;s that do this too :shrug:

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.