Found Any Rust On Your Mk2?

GazTDi

Feb 8, 2015
Sorry to bring up an old post but ive found a rust bubble on the rear arch of my 07 leon where the bumper meets it, anyone had this issue?

jimbo1876

Feb 8, 2013
Sorry to bring up an old post but ive found a rust bubble on the rear arch of my 07 leon where the bumper meets it, anyone had this issue?

Yes. And it isn't covered by anti-perforation warranty. Seemingly caused by movement in bumper against wheel arch making the paint crack and allowing water ingress behind. Dealers said they had another 5 2007 Leons all in with exactly the same issue as mine that week.

Local body shop quoted £140 +vat for bumper removal and cutting out the small rusted section and welding in a new section and painting. Seemed very reasonable as they have a decent reputation.

GazTDi

Feb 8, 2015
Ah ok not getting covered under warranty is no use :( but it's just a wee blister and hopefully not need cutting out, ill get a bodyshop to look at it next week, and yes £140 for that job seems great, good luck with it :)

Dopedpanda

"Old" Hardcore Ford Fan
Jun 15, 2013
Denmark
Yes. And it isn't covered by anti-perforation warranty. Seemingly caused by movement in bumper against wheel arch making the paint crack and allowing water ingress behind. Dealers said they had another 5 2007 Leons all in with exactly the same issue as mine that week.

Local body shop quoted £140 +vat for bumper removal and cutting out the small rusted section and welding in a new section and painting. Seemed very reasonable as they have a decent reputation.

Think it sounds pretty strange they need to weld in a new patch. I haven´t seen the damage ofc, but normally some sanding and/or sand blasting can take care of these things pretty quick and its not like its a Opel or Ford that rust away at speeds higher than you are traveling :blink:

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
Was cleaning and polishing the car over the weekend, first time I've had a chance to do it properly for a little while, and noticed some very small bubbling around the high level brake light on the boot lid, at the top.

In my mind, the car shouldn't be rusting at 7 years old - I'm the first and only owner of my car, will be getting the dealer to have a look. Anyone else checked here? Will let you know what the outcome is...

Dopedpanda

"Old" Hardcore Ford Fan
Jun 15, 2013
Denmark
Was cleaning and polishing the car over the weekend, first time I've had a chance to do it properly for a little while, and noticed some very small bubbling around the high level brake light on the boot lid, at the top.

In my mind, the car shouldn't be rusting at 7 years old - I'm the first and only owner of my car, will be getting the dealer to have a look. Anyone else checked here? Will let you know what the outcome is...

Most likely cause someone has changed the bulb and punctured the paint doing it.
I had small marks where the light had rubbed in the paint, i just put some touch up those places and put protective film over it.

jimbo1876

Feb 8, 2013
Think it sounds pretty strange they need to weld in a new patch. I haven´t seen the damage ofc, but normally some sanding and/or sand blasting can take care of these things pretty quick and its not like its a Opel or Ford that rust away at speeds higher than you are traveling :blink:

At the time they thought it was rusting from the rear of the wing outwards where the bumper bolts onto the wing. Instead the rusting is all external due to the paint flaking through bumper movement. So hopefully it wouldn't now even require bumper removal and would only involve prep and painting. It is getting worse quickly though - hardly surprising given the amount of salt on the roads in Scotland at the moment.
08d2c5b3efa5b0a90f9db754b623e64a.jpg

Last edited:

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
Most likely cause someone has changed the bulb and punctured the paint doing it.
I had small marks where the light had rubbed in the paint, i just put some touch up those places and put protective film over it.

The bulb has never been changed, am the only owner since the car had 2 miles on it post PDI.

Daniel M

Blackbelts & Chickenheads
Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
Bumping an old thread here....

When I washed mine the other day I noticed a small amount of rust on the bottom of the drivers door.

I was wondering if its worth asking Seat to have a look at it as surely an 8 year old car shouldnt be rusting. I understand everyone's views on this but surely worth taking it down for them to have a look?

Might ring Seat UK tomorrow and see what they say.

lewischadwick7

Jul 4, 2016
Barnsley
noticed when i got mine it has a few spots! N/S rear arch N/S bottom of the door and just noticed paint flaked a little under the O/S front wing :censored:

Last edited:

Paulki

Jul 12, 2006
Enfield
My 2006 TFSI which I've owned from new, earlier this year, developed a rust blister at the bottom of the N/S front wing were it meets the sill, I pulled the arch liner out of the way and there was about 5cm of dirt accumulated there, I dug this out to see that under the muck it had rusted through. I called SEAT customer care and they told be to take it to a dealers for inspection. I went to SEAT Hatfield's approved body shop, the guy looked at the blister and declared it to be a stone chip, when I asked how a stone is going to hit the side of the car he declined to comment and also declined to comment on the fact the inside of the wing was rusted more than the outside!

I contacted customer care again and told them I didn't accept his opinion and asked for an independent inspection, which they surprisingly agreed to, and said they would even pay for it whatever the result!

I had to use their approved independent inspector, pvwi2010.co.uk, the guy who came to inspect the wing, was a former manager of the paint and body shop at the Vauxhall factory in Luton, he took one glance at the blister and said "it's not a stone chip". He carried out the routine inspection, measured average paint thickness and stuck a small spike through the blister in a couple of places and photographed it for the report, which stated that it had rusted from the inside due to the build up of dirt and long term exposure to road salts causing a failure of the paint and metal finishes.

End result, wing replaced and painted to full factory standards under the 12 year anti-perforation warranty.

Be warned: check your arches and clean any dirt accumulation away and treat with Dinitrol or Waxoyl to be safe.

BTW: the drivers side was OK.

ECB

Edward CB
Jun 26, 2013
Northampton
BUMP!

My front wings have been rusting for a while now, bubbling mainly on the arch and (what i thought) was a small amount where it meets the sill. After washing it a week or so ago I caught the lower part on the nearside and it just crumbled; rushed from the inside out. So I have a hole about 1x1".

Properly gutted, for an 11 year old car it isn't really what i would have expected. Anyone got an idea of what it will cost to get both wings replaced?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise