Found out something quite useful today- Regarding the standard cold air feed,

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
Had a bit of a play yesterday, gave the panel filter a clean, Plus had the standard cold air feed that goes from behind the head light to the bottom of the air box removed,

I cant believe how restictive this looks as standard, i possibly think it a combination of cold air and sound deadening to effect,

So ive had a bit of a play, using an external air temp sensor fitted to the inside of the bottom of the airbox, once with the cold air feed in situ , one with out, even with it removed the cooled air is naturally fed from behind the light because of the existing front part of the pipe still being there,

feed in situ : 19.3 c
feed removed 19.4-5 c

0.1-2 of a degree will have no effect on a Intercooled turbo'd lump In my opinion, And since the diameter of the feed pipe is down at least 1" over the entrance to the air box i personally think it'll be far more efficient

the biggest benefit ive found up to now was the immediate grunt midrange especially 5-6th on motorways, it pulls harder everytime, something ive always thought to 180 LC lacked as standard.

I replaced the cold feed pipe to see if it was just the placebo effect, but im near on 99% sure it wasnt,

Plus you get a nice induction note too, its not droning either,

gb

here and there
Feb 27, 2007
portglasgow
so what your saying is that you've removed the feed to the airbox and you get better air flow into the box would you not be better to just fit a cone filter :confused:

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
theoretically yes, but Im wanting to stay as OEM as possible or brdering reversable mods, , plus i dont like the drone of a cone filter, and i dont fancy paying £200 for one that might actually benefit,

Im more saying that the air feed to the airbox is actually over restrictive and its purpose is maybe to also quieten down the induction noise, plus it also proves its no a detrimental air feed since the air intake temps show next to no difference,

Last edited:

thegooner

Oct 14, 2009
dont know if it fits the leon ( canny be bothered opening ETKA to check part numbers ) but on the bora/golf you can fit the snorkel from the R32 DSG golf which is a bigger pipe

also the air dam - bit behind the light itself is replaced

i did see gains in airflow but as they were on the older hard disc i no longer have them,think it was around 8g/s

(sorry cant post pics yet)

adm013

Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
Another factor, hot day long drive, air temp in engine bay is going to increase. These results all depends on how long you took the car for a run and what king of load you had the engine under. Might be worth doing under different conditions....

Andy

thegooner

Oct 14, 2009
from memory 1st couple of runs were done in 2nd or 3rd gear at WOT, ambient temp was 16 degrees or something engine showing warm after around 5 or 6miles nice long level straight basically beside me oil showing 195 degrees (F) 2nd was done on the same straight after going to town so had done 15miles before logging on the same straight. average was taken from each of the 2 runs.

the pipe is huge compared to the OEM 1.8t pipe. ( will post up pics when i can ) nothing compared to the 3 - 4" ducting that some use

adm013

Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
One of the main reasons i went for the FMIC was due to the lack of ooomph on hot days when you are on the twisty stuff, car felt lifeless, that was a 250 mile drive, cracking summers day, so i'm sure that would have an effect on the intake if you removed the cold airfeed.

thegooner

Oct 14, 2009
sorry i think weve got crossed over, im on about replacing the cold air snorkel from behind the light to the airbox with the bigger one.

thegooner

Oct 14, 2009
i do know what you are on about with the heatsoak however.

prior to the FMIC did you have the TT vents on the arch liner ? its something im looking at as trying to keep the car OEM as possible and not looking at BT route

thegooner

Oct 14, 2009
ok now have the 15 posts required so will get picks up

OEM 1.8t pipe on the left. R32 DSG Golf pipe on the right
2556258558_cf8008ec55_b.jpg

Fitted to R32 DSG Air Dam ( area behind the light itself that gets the cold air from behind the grill )

2555431233_2dec9d3aa6_b.jpg

cant find one of it in the engine bay after fitting however sorry. only mod required is the hole in the bottom of the airbox needs opened up a bit.

only thing is it needs to be the DSG model the standard R32 had a different pipe

adm013

Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
I didn't have TT vents in the arch liner. The FMIC i fitted was a custom one so a) it was a lot cheaper than the big name brands b) the size i chose was 2.5" deep so no moddifications were required to the frames surrounding.

As far as keeping the the car as oem as possible i'm the same, so i was thinging of spraying Intercooler black but in the end i didn't, it doesn't look out of place on the LCR at all. I'm looking to go as far as stage 2 for now.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.