Four Wheel Alignment - SEAT MK3 Leon FR 184

Syerate

Sep 6, 2019
Hello,

This might be a simple question for some, I have had the tracking done on my front wheels in the past but didn't seem to change too much, my steering wheel is clearly out of line. I have recently replaced all my shockers and I was wondering if my car would benefit from a four wheel alignment check, it does have the independent rear suspension but I wasn't sure if the rear was adjustable?

Thanks

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'd say getting a full 4 wheel re-adjustment/check is never a bad thing or waste of time, yes on cars with a solid rear beam axle/ARB there is no allowance for adjustment, but a 4 wheel check will start with the fixed rear end, checking for bushing or accident damage, then use that as reference to check and if necessary adjust the front end, again this would check for damage or slight change of alignment due to you replacing parts.

Now, almost 95% of people will say "rubbish none of these cars have adjustable suspension" - and that is true, but every fixing hole is oversized and so some correction is possible which can make the difference between the car running true or crabbing!

If my single experience of KwikFit is representative of them in general, I'd avoid them as they do have gear to check 4 wheel alignment, but I'm not convinced that they all fully understand how to use it - I handed my daughter's late 2009 Ibiza in to get the toeing set up correctly as I had just replaced the TREs and steering rods, £59 for the only alignment service offered, but job done correctly - but a full handout of the car's alignment which indicated that the caster was way out on both sides, ie no caster angle at all, almost zero and way out of spec, but no comments were made - now maybe I'm stupid, but I put that down to them not rotating the steering wheels as directed by the alignment computer. Either way that car was sold, so no longer my problem.

Syerate

Sep 6, 2019
I'd say getting a full 4 wheel re-adjustment/check is never a bad thing or waste of time, yes on cars with a solid rear beam axle/ARB there is no allowance for adjustment, but a 4 wheel check will start with the fixed rear end, checking for bushing or accident damage, then use that as reference to check and if necessary adjust the front end, again this would check for damage or slight change of alignment due to you replacing parts.

Now, almost 95% of people will say "rubbish none of these cars have adjustable suspension" - and that is true, but every fixing hole is oversized and so some correction is possible which can make the difference between the car running true or crabbing!

If my single experience of KwikFit is representative of them in general, I'd avoid them as they do have gear to check 4 wheel alignment, but I'm not convinced that they all fully understand how to use it - I handed my daughter's late 2009 Ibiza in to get the toeing set up correctly as I had just replaced the TREs and steering rods, £59 for the only alignment service offered, but job done correctly - but a full handout of the car's alignment which indicated that the caster was way out on both sides, ie no caster angle at all, almost zero and way out of spec, but no comments were made - now maybe I'm stupid, but I put that down to them not rotating the steering wheels as directed by the alignment computer. Either way that car was sold, so no longer my problem.

Appreciate the post, just didn't want to spend upwards of 60+ if nothing could be done with the back end. Similar to your kwickfit situation I have also read online where a few people have mentioned similar situations in terms of the staff experience with the computer/machines lacking etc.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.