Fr 1.2 or 1.4with dsg

The wife is looking for a new car, I'm tempted to buy a cheap small auto or possibly lease a new Ibiza, at the moment we have a mini clubman cooper s and a Saab 9-5 2.3 lpt, she is using the Saab every day and it's costing ££££ in fuel, with leasing being pretty cheap on the Ibiza I have thought about leasing one.

Now I'm no fan of the dsg but she likes it, but for an every day car what are the pro's and con's of the 1.2tsi and 1.4tsi with dsg ?

Thanks

hellooo

Nov 2, 2014
I've had a 1.2 FR with the DSG for 30 months.
Pros:
Quite perky
43mpg
Relaxed on the motorway
Low tyre wear
No oil between services
Cons:
Seems to prefer premium petrol, both for mpg and performance.
Gearbox is capricious. Sometimes smooth. Other times slow to respond. Little creep. Really is a weak point.
Engine flat above 5,000 rpm.

Am not sure that a 1.4 is available with this gearbox anymore, unless you opt for the Cupra.

Ally

Jun 1, 2015
Scotland
I may not be able to advise the best option but could share that I just got a 1.2 FR last week and it's a great car to drive and very comfortable. So far I would highly recommend it.

Magnerz

Apr 3, 2013
Huddersfield
I have a Bocanegra which is the 1.4TSi and can say it's such a lovely and easy car to drive, but got plenty of bollocks if you want to do a bit of spirited driving :) Only downside is that it isn't fantastic on fuel - my commute to work is over the moors and I struggle to get any more than 30mpg on a steady run.

JoshRedCupra

May 11, 2015
Essex
Really magnerz? I've got a Cupra and I think its really good on fuel for a performance hatchback!! What fuel do you use? I use Tesco momentum (99 ron) Put a full tank in two weeks ago an has only just gone down to half a tank and done 201 miles :D My jounrey to and from work I can get an average of 44mpg :)

Magnerz

Apr 3, 2013
Huddersfield
I only ever put in that Shell V-Power but think it's more the roads I drive what makes it seems bad on fuel! I drive country roads to work and always braking/ accelerating rather than just on cruise control on the motorway :/

JoshRedCupra

May 11, 2015
Essex
Ah okay! Bit of a sidetrack but I see you live in Hudds :p My girlfriend is from Halifax and we are travelling from London to Halifax on the 19th! On the 20th me and two others from the forums are meeting up somewhere in that area (one of them lives in Holmfirth and I think it's looking likely it will be there!) One of them has a VAG-COM and they are sorting out something for me :p Maybe you would pop along with us? :D

Magnerz

Apr 3, 2013
Huddersfield
Ah nice one mate! Will definitely tag along on that one if welcome :) There's a meet this Saturday in Sheffield but that's probably out of the question for you being down south! :p

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.