FR 2008 57 reg. Gear change issues..

jguy

Hi guys!
I have a feb 2008 model Ibiza 1.9FR. Bought only 6 weeks ago and already have an issue. I noticed a slight burning smell in heavy traffic and 1st and 2nd gear were very very sticky/notchy to engage. Was not riding the clutch or anything, stopped, neutraled up at lights etc.. Once i got to my destination, reverse would not engage without shutting the car off and putting it into reverse, if i tried while it was on it would not go in. Tried after ten minutes off and it worked fine again. Today it did it again! same sympthoms. I've called the dealer and have an appointment Monday. Any ideas on what it might be? Car has 17k on it btw.:help:

jguy

If its the clutch surely the warranty with dealer stands for something? They knew of the problem since the first time it happend within the first week. (has only happened twice in 6 weeks) The second time around there was no smell btw. Been driving a manual since 17 and thats 13 yrs ago, never cooked a clutch and my last car was a 2003 PD130 Sport owned since Jan 04 which someone smashed into, or else i'd still have it, so i know how to drive this beast! :cartman: The only problem i ever had with that was misting lights and falling in passenger side window lol.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I didn't say that you cooked it through bad clutch control, I just said that it sounds like the clutch is cooked. The clutch has probably been slipping due to a fault of some sort. The thing is the dealers will just put it down to driver abuse and say no to a warranty claim.

Good luck persuading them, they will probably say that they will strip the clutch and see but if they find evidence of driver abuse they will bill you.

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
make sure the car is in neutral when in traffic...some people love keeping their cars in gear all the time and this aint good for the clutch

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.