FR tdi coolant leak on heater matrix pipes???

Johnsbegood

Sep 11, 2012
Worcester
Hi Peeps,

Have an 06 plate fr tdi with a coolant leak. It’s currently saturating the sound deadening black carpet stuff that is attached to the firewall/bulkhead. My mate thinks it could be where the pipes join on to the heater matrix stubs? It’s then probably tracking down this carpet and dripping at the bottom. Anyone had this? Is there a seal that can be replaced?
I’ll try and upload a photo

Thanks

Paul

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
This sort of issue has been reported in other forums, and maybe in this one, so that means that it happens to at least Skoda Fabia - maybe try Google for answers. I think that it is the seals that have failed and replacing these seals and reconnecting these pipes is a pain in the bum job! Good Luck!

chrissyboy

Apr 5, 2017
St Helens, Merseyside
Hi, my Ibiza FR tdi had exactly the same problem as yours. You can go ahead and replace the o rings (I don't have the part number to hand, sorry). However, in my experience and with others, it'll continue to leak - in my case even worse.

I know what you're thinking - new o rings should be the solution but for some infuriating reason it's difficult for the pipes to mate properly with the heater matrix. I had those pipes on and off half a dozen times and still no joy, coolant dripping steadily worse. I have a solution for you that requires getting rid of the metal pipes (you still require the new o rings).

I found a heater matrix core on eBay. What I was looking for wasn't the matrix core itself but rather with 6Q0 121 065N. This now mates with the existing matrix core (use the new o rings). It's secured with a hex bolt - 7mm I think. I did this DIY about 18 months ago so it's not fresh in memory.

You will also need 19mm (3/4") heater hose (sorry, I don't have the exact length you will need but I spent £12 and had lots left over) and 19mm straight couplers (eBay). Include a couple of 19mm 90 deg fittings too. You will have to cut your existing hoses and use the couplers to mate up to the new heater hose.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hose-Joi...licone-/131999398895?var=&hash=item1ebbc6fbef

Here's the photos from coolant leak fixing fiasco:

heater core.jpg
6q0121065n.JPG

Attachments

• hose.JPG
    hose.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 289
  • hosefit.JPG
    hosefit.JPG
    639.1 KB · Views: 350
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.