FR TDi not cold starting

uuf361

Jun 29, 2008
My 4 month old (6,000 mile) FR TDi has developed a cold starting challenge in the last 2 weeks......

Glowplugs all go out fine but on the first start of the day it turns over, fires and then dies......normally is fine on the second start but once had to do it a third time......initially I put it down to the cold, but today the same thing and it's +7C :confused:

Every other start of the day is fine so not sure what the problem might be.......4K off the service but guess if it persists will have it rectified then.....

Anyone else exerienced this :confused:

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
My 4 month old (6,000 mile) FR TDi has developed a cold starting challenge in the last 2 weeks......

Glowplugs all go out fine but on the first start of the day it turns over, fires and then dies......normally is fine on the second start but once had to do it a third time......initially I put it down to the cold, but today the same thing and it's +7C :confused:

Every other start of the day is fine so not sure what the problem might be.......4K off the service but guess if it persists will have it rectified then.....

Anyone else exerienced this :confused:
Had a similar problem with mine at 28k but it has gone away now its much warmer, certainly raise it when it goes in for its service - you may have apoor glow plug resistance??

Ithaca

Mines currently doing the same thing. I originally put it down to the fact it was 0/1deg C when ive been leaving in the morning. Tried it other day and temp said 9 and it did same thing, starts then grumbles and dies. Mines at 8200 and 4 month old, may give the local dealer a ring and see if its been seen before.

BanziBarn

FR TDI & Type-R
Jun 5, 2003
Greater London
Visit site
Mine's always been a bit dodgy in this area. The main issue for me is if I don;t keep the key turned long enough on the first start the engine won't fire, then it has real problems the second time.

Now I just make sure I hold the key round until I definately know the car is started and have not had any problems since. This doesn't seem to be connected to the tempreture either.

Darryld

Not got anything helpful to add apart from my 08 plate has done the same when its <0 temperature. Doesnt seem to like it.

uuf361

Jun 29, 2008
Mmm, seems to be a common prblem then :( or is that a feature:rolleyes:

Not happened to me or any previous diesel car before including those in the VAG range although never had this unit.

Will get it checked out at the sevrice which should have been by no but managed to borrow lots of work cars and racked up all the miles in them:)

Noticed this too, but after 10K service mid-December it's much better.

Don't want to teach-granny-to-suck-eggs but assume you tried the pump-clutch-pedal, hold-clutch-pedal-down and count to 10 after glow-plugs go out before turning the key? Mine always fired up ok after doing this, but first couple of cough-splutter starts were disconcerting.

Graham123

May 13, 2007
Mine actually started doing this after 10K service.

Not sure whether it's a coincidence with weather getting much colder around same time.

Been meaning to get it back in for a few weeks.

KWEV

May 23, 2004
yep , got the same problem , if she don't start first time
then it'll just keep turning over second time without any throttle:(
oldoiler could be right - reckon it could be high resistance to glowplugs ie "faulty loom"
i'm sure iv'e read on here about faulty glowplug wiring looms , but not sure if it was mk1 or 2 leons.
i mentioned it at my local dealer , just did a software update:confused: , made no difference.

Has anyone else had this problem and got it "fixed" ? Any fault codes logged?
I think one or two of us need some pointers:)
Thanks

uuf361

Jun 29, 2008
Noticed this too, but after 10K service mid-December it's much better.

Don't want to teach-granny-to-suck-eggs but assume you tried the pump-clutch-pedal, hold-clutch-pedal-down and count to 10 after glow-plugs go out before turning the key? Mine always fired up ok after doing this, but first couple of cough-splutter starts were disconcerting.

I always start with the clutch in on both cars (have done since I had a Subaru).......

Have not tried pumping clutch pedal or waiting........I really don't think I should be having to do those things - it's a new-ish car so should work fine without effort on my part.......the manual (I think) says to start as soon as glow plug light goes out).

Will have it checked at service