FR TDI Vs ST FIESTA

CORBY

May 1, 2007
Sunderland & Washington
My Brother in Law has one (ST) and he seems to think that it is faster than mine, we havn't raced yet! Just wondering what you guy's think will have upper hand! :confused:

Both Standard - Although mine has a Green Panel Filter and the Flap cut of the air intake!

I reckon mine will beat it though maybe even off the mark! ;)

Dan Cupra R

The Yellow Sub
May 2, 2006
Reading
My Brother in Law has one (ST) and he seems to think that it is faster than mine, we havn't raced yet! Just wondering what you guy's think will have upper hand! :confused:

Both Standard - Although mine has a Green Panel Filter and the Flap cut of the air intake!

I reckon mine will beat it though maybe even off the mark! ;)

Dont known about TDi's but I know Fiesta ST's are slow. Mine used to piss all over them when it was standard.

Not that Im encouraging you to race or anything ;)

EB20VT

Feb 5, 2005
West Yorkshire
I'd say that from a standing start the Fiesta would be quicker, also round the twisties (depending on the driver) it would have the upper hand, in gear though i think the FR would have it.

AndyC85

All I know is that the Fiesta ST is crap. I test drove one a few months ago. The engine felt totally life-less. Theres hardly any pull even when I revved the hell out of it.

badleeroy

Drove my mates ST and i was not that impressed felt quite slow although speedo said differently , and i've drove an FR too i think it would be a close thing but i reckon in the real world the FR would come out on top

Triple D

Anyone who drives a derv, they will know they have **** loads of torque, you then drive a N/A car, and of course it will feel slow, it has no turbo to kick in......:doh:

Mikey_H

258.7BHP 39?ft/lb
Feb 15, 2007
Buckingham
Hi all,

I can speak from experience on this one standard fr vs standard st is very close but the st does have a slight and i mean very slight edge in a straight line although i was 2 up in mine and he was by himself. its a very close race, my best advice get a re-map don't tell him and blow him away hahaha!!!!

badleeroy

Triple D when i drove the ST id never driven a diesel let alone an FR or Cupra i drove a focus at the time, and IMO still didnt 'feel' that quick

hon_n_gem

Candy White K1
Mar 22, 2006
Kent
www.auto-tuner.co.uk
yeah i had a quick go with an ST a while ago! off a roundabout and onto dual carriage! and it was all pretty close...grandparents in the back so i could realli full throttle it! lol....it is pretty close

jonbaker01

I chased a fiesta st up a slip road the other day onto the motorway in my standard ibiza sport (130) - couldn't keep up :>(

CORBY

May 1, 2007
Sunderland & Washington
Thats what the plan was all along - to get it remapped and then blow him away! :D
But it would be a shame not knowing what would have happened if they both were standard.
But then he would be like.......ha you had to get it remapped to beat mine........blah.......blah! I could always catch him in the hop like I do with everything........it's class! :cartman:

rob1

IBIZA TDI CUPRA
Sep 14, 2004
WALES
the st is about 0 to 60 in 8.6 seconds from my autocar book which is what they done the tests at for all their cars as the manufacturers readings are usually wrong. from memory the tdi sport i had was something like 9.2secs. my book says the FR is 9.3 and the tdi cupra 7.6s (disappointed as initial reviews from the same magazine said they did 6.8s :( )

in any event i had my cupra remapped to supposidly 200bhp and i totally blitzed this ST and he was going for it off the lights onto a dual carriageway. my remap couldnt have been done properly cos it used to stick out so much ****, so he definately knew he got done by a DERV!!!!

i plan to put my tuning box back in when i find mine as i cant handle another blown turbo, but there is nothing wrong with cheating to guarentee a good distance win :D

also remember that tyres make a massive difference, i use budgets which are really poor and in rain they practically dont exist! Lets not forget the driver factor - how good are you (or how crazy are you??) !

CORBY

May 1, 2007
Sunderland & Washington
I would say I'm quite good! Crazy? Sometimes, you know when you really want to show someone right up by flying into and around a corner/roundabout but you realise you are going a bit too hot into it and have to backoff or dab the brakes and the arse end comes round and then needs correcting! You's might think.....oh but........ that is good? This very rarely happens to me though! The normal procedure I carry out, is, brake before the corner/roundabout and accelerate out of it! I find that most people go into the bends too fast and come out them slow, if they are in front of me I normally leave a bit space inbetween me and them when coming into a round about so I can accelerate at them and overtake coming out out it as they have lost all their speed by braking half way round. But you do bump into good drivers now and again! I brother-in-law brakes half way round bends all the time and thinks he's fast as! :lol:
I don't rate the tyres in my car atm but they're nearly illegal so will be getting some better ones soon! Any recommendations? ;)

keefy

Dec 4, 2006
I'd have thought that the ST would pip a standard FR TDi/Sport130 if the driver of the ST was willing to use all the revs.
I also reckon it would be a close run thing through the gears if the driver of the ST actually used the gears in the correct fashion, as opposed to just sticking his foot down in 4th/5th.

There's been a lot of talk on here in the last few days about petrols not having any 'kick' compared to diesels.....that's 'cos the diesel has bu66er all until the turbo spools up and then it's whump........off we go. The petrol has a more steady building of power......doesn't mean it's any slower, just means that the power is delivered in a different fashion and it feels different.
I drove a V5 Golf a few yrs ago and it felt really slow as the power was so linear......but then when you look at the speedo it tells a different story.

There is no doubt in my mind that an ST would easily see off an FR on some twistie roads. I am quite disappointed with the handling of my Sport. It's very eager to run wide, which I put down mainly to the heavy engine.
I test drove the ZetecS TDCi and the Sport TDi130. The Fiesta definitely handled better, but I chose the Ibiza 'cos of the kit levels and extra dose of power. If the Fiesta had the 1.8TDCi in it, it may have been a different story.

rob1

IBIZA TDI CUPRA
Sep 14, 2004
WALES
but wouldnt the fiesta with a 1.8 tdci block also have the same problem as the ibiza with being top heavy? i dont have a problem with twisty roads/lanes in wales and we have loads of them ! easily 70 through there no problems. again alot to do with it is tyres imo as mine usually wear on the left and on inside on front and outside on rear... and you know when they are low !! lowering your rear pressure can help with bends..

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
main reason i am looking at mk4 fr tdi ibiza for my next car, no other small car really comes close for diesel performance and economy which is what i am looking for

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.