FR V GTi

hengel

The best drivers car is the Leon FR, it offers the most fun. At least thats what i read in 1 on 1 tests. The materials used in the Golf V interior are a bit better.

But you have to choose yourself. Both are good cars, so it just depends on taste. If you like both equally well: choose the Seat and save a lot of cash for a better driving car.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
if it's a lease... then the expectedly lower resale of Crono won't be an issue

Although... the Crono does suit it

main.php

main.php

Both look good - the black magic shows dirt very very easily though - but looks stunning when shiney

wurzel

Jun 2, 2003
East Anglia
Visit site
Even if a crono does have a lower resale value it shouldn't be anymore than £500 less than a black one etc, and given the metallic costs an extra £350 in the first place its not too bad. But as m0rk says as its lease it when be a problem.

courtster

Thanks guys for all your responses, but after all that I have a new problem... It seems that the DSG will be an option on 2007 models - It's such a fab system, I gotta have it.

Even better you get the paddles as standard too, seems the price difference makes it a bargain too - on a GTI its £1700 extra if you include the multifunction steering wheel with paddles that is standard in the Leon. The Leon price of this fantastic bit of kit looks like you'll get change from £1000 :)

apn

The paddles are included with the DSG on the GTI (though not the multifunction buttons), but it's still over £1300 extra compared to £900 on the Leon.

Does anyone know if the DSG on the FR is exactly the same as on the Golf GTi? I've tried it on the Golf and it was amazing, but I don't think my local Seat dealer has got one. I'd be gutted if I ordered a DSG FR and found that it wasn't as good as on the Golf!

safcnige

Here I go, first post and all, been lurking for a while and now asking a stupid question that I want a unbiased answer to (surely not on a seat forum)

Here are the facts:

New job, company car free choice, get £380 a month allowance on a 30k pa 3 year contract with maintenance.

Leon FR TFSI £380 all in - costs me £142 a month in co car tax and co fuel
Golf GTi £450 all in - costs me £210 with co car tax and fuel including personal contribution
Golf GT 1.4 TSI £380 all in - costs me £132 in co car tax and fuel

Bear in mind I'm a real original GTi fan having owned 2 MK1's and a MK2 in my time.

also to bear in mind is that the £70 extra for the golf is not too much for me, it's all about the driving experience for me.

Why dont you have a look at the focus st as i thought it was better than both
of them but the company car tax was a hell of a lot cheaper on my fr tdi but if
money didnt come into it i would have had the focus than either the golf or leon

safcnige

if it's a lease... then the expectedly lower resale of Crono won't be an issue

Although... the Crono does suit it

main.php

main.php

Both look good - the black magic shows dirt very very easily though - but looks stunning when shiney

mines yellow and it looks far better in the metal

mliley01

Nov 26, 2006
Solihull
I chose the Emocion Red... but looking at those 2 together.......... Hmmm...:blink: I do like that yellow...... The other half would never of let me have it though!!!

Feb 8, 2004
uk
Visit site
Can't you wait until the cupra comes out? Well not that you would be able to tell the difference between the two anyway.... ;)

FR would be different and if you dont have to worry about residuals the go for it.

courtster

After starting the job, things are a lot clearer now:

Anything over the £380 a month allowance you have to pay back 36 months worth over 9 months :-o

So say the GTI - approx £70 a month over 36 months.. £2520, divide that over 9 months = £280 a month, ouch! Looks like thats out. Also I can't order the car till my 12 week probation is up, so seems I can wait after all.

I could order the Cupra, but we're getting near GTi territory again. Whereas I can order a yellow (don't tell the missus - it's all they had ;) ) FR with DSG and bluetooth and be just over the allowance... Looks like its all good then :)

Thanx for all your interest in my ponderings :D

chris_m

Aug 30, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Thats a shame, because having driven them both, the GTI is the much nicer chuckable car for me. Significantly better build quality, better exterior looks (IMO the new Leon is still too MPV like), and perhaps most importantly, the GTI handles better, its firmer, better planted and more direct.

chungster

SCN Veteran
May 27, 2001
Bedfordshire, UK
Visit site
Thats a shame, because having driven them both, the GTI is the much nicer chuckable car for me. Significantly better build quality, better exterior looks (IMO the new Leon is still too MPV like), and perhaps most importantly, the GTI handles better, its firmer, better planted and more direct.

I've not driven the new Leon but hey I like your review :D

Xe

The best colours go like this. No ifs, No buts:

Black > Silver (Luna?) > Red > Then the rest :p

MUFFIN

ready 2 return ;o)
Dec 3, 2006
North of Penzance
Crono Yellow is the one for me also. Very few cars suit the colour yellow; Lambho, 911 turbo and Seat Cupra/FR all look great - Fiats and Rovers look garbage. I suspect yellow would attract the boy racers though.. My mate at work has a black one which has had the diamond brite finish applied. Looks magic for about ten minutes after a wash. Let us know what you decide.:funk:

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.