Fr184 v gtd handling

Tigerobe

Feb 20, 2017
So the Mrs bought an my14 GTD. took it for a spin this morning and it handles so much better, feels more taut around bends etc and fills you confidence to push a bit more than I would in my 184.
I was under the impression it’s the same setup so why the big difference?
My FR feels wallowy compared to the GTD. could there be an issue with my car?

Not impressed to say the least..
anyone shed some light or advice, would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
So the Mrs bought an my14 GTD. took it for a spin this morning and it handles so much better, feels more taut around bends etc and fills you confidence to push a bit more than I would in my 184.

VW may of fitted a sportier suspension setup with different spring rates and roll bars. Can't have their GTD out performed by a Seat. All Marketing.

gof

Oct 10, 2016
Croatia

I had MY17 FR184 dsg last year and was amazed with how that car handled, really had no issues with it. A friend from down the street has MY14 GTD manual which I have driven several times and car also feels amazing, not a bit better than the FR. What I’ve heard more than once from lot of people is that Leon rides alot better than the Golf in any form.

What about tires on both cars, they make a huge difference?

Tigerobe

Feb 20, 2017
I had MY17 FR184 dsg last year and was amazed with how that car handled, really had no issues with it. A friend from down the street has MY14 GTD manual which I have driven several times and car also feels amazing, not a bit better than the FR. What I’ve heard more than once from lot of people is that Leon rides alot better than the Golf in any form.

What about tires on both cars, they make a huge difference?

Compo1

Jul 19, 2010
Does the GTD have adaptive suspension as standard ? Because the FR does not.

Maybe that is the difference because i for one feel it is a damper issue.

Tigerobe

Feb 20, 2017
Does the GTD have adaptive suspension as standard ? Because the FR does not.

Maybe that is the difference because i for one feel it is a damper issue.

No, on the Mrs gtd it doesn’t have adaptive suspension

Reactions: Compo1

Compo1

Jul 19, 2010
I'd love to be able to match up the damper and spring part numbers as a start point.

Would not know where to start though.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
They were for MY2016, but will provide the info that you require in comparison of like for like...

I promise that I'll not mark your essay on the subject later!!!

I seem to recall a comparison between the Octavia Mk3 and Mk3 FL there is a difference in the width of the rear track... on the VRS only perhaps... and I'm sure there was a comparison with the other MQB platform cars.

There are a number of variables with regards to chassis dynamics though over and above the parts fitted:

- weight of vehicle
- unsprung mass of the wheels
- wheel offset / track
- wheel base
- wheel alignment
- camber angles
- tyres
- tyre pressures
- tyre wear
- spring wear
- damper wear

Just to name a few; the chassis tuning experts will spend months and thousands of miles tuning the chassis to specific models.

If the motoring press are to be believed, for the Leon FR it is generally accepted that the suspension is stiffer when compared to Golf equivalents, which is the reason that they often quote when stating that the ride is better in the Golf.

Last edited:

Compo1

Jul 19, 2010
If the motoring press are to be believed, for the Leon FR it is generally accepted that the suspension is stiffer when compared to Golf equivalents, which is the reason that they often quote when stating that the ride is better in the Golf.

Well that may have been true on the mk2 but with the mk3 it is under damped and gives a floating drifting sensation when pushed its not inspiring at all and no longer a drivers car. Could not believe the difference from the mk2 to mk3 is was shocked how poor the mk3 is. When the wife said well this Leon is not humpy bumpy like the last one, iy said it all.

To be fair i dont think Seat give a dam about the FR badge anymore they seem very happy to stick it on anything now.

Unlike the Mk2 days where an FR was either a 170 derv (Till 2010) or a 180 petrol. Seat have diluted that reputation and authority the badge has for marketing. And it seems they stick shocks and springs on the FR also used on the base models.

Briefly looked over to see if i could make a quick comparison i think ill use an hour at the weekend to write down the basics differences.

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
Well that may have been true on the mk2 but with the mk3 it is under damped and gives a floating drifting sensation when pushed its not inspiring at all and no longer a drivers car.
That's exactly how my 184FR feels. I was beginning to think something was wrong, maybe there is. On my way home from work, there's a long fast bend and if you push it hard, you get that floating drifting sensation everytime. Not nice thinking you may end up in the field!

Tigerobe

Feb 20, 2017
That's exactly how my 184FR feels. I was beginning to think something was wrong, maybe there is. On my way home from work, there's a long fast bend and if you push it hard, you get that floating drifting sensation everytime. Not nice thinking you may end up in the field!

I feel like that most days, now as the Mrs has a GTD I feel it even more as hers just eats the bends that I am worried about in my Fr. My old mk2 was never like this.!

beddin90

Mar 31, 2014
Well that may have been true on the mk2 but with the mk3 it is under damped and gives a floating drifting sensation when pushed its not inspiring at all and no longer a drivers car. Could not believe the difference from the mk2 to mk3 is was shocked how poor the mk3 is. When the wife said well this Leon is not humpy bumpy like the last one, iy said it all.

To be fair i dont think Seat give a dam about the FR badge anymore they seem very happy to stick it on anything now.

Unlike the Mk2 days where an FR was either a 170 derv (Till 2010) or a 180 petrol. Seat have diluted that reputation and authority the badge has for marketing. And it seems they stick shocks and springs on the FR also used on the base models.

Briefly looked over to see if i could make a quick comparison i think ill use an hour at the weekend to write down the basics differences.

I agree, i think the FR badge has just been turned into another trim level rather than being aimed at the higher performance variants. I came from a 2009 MK2 to a 2016 MK3 FR and the ride is a lot softer. It's much comfier for day to day stuff but has lost the edge when pushing on. Suppose most people just want something comfy these days..

Rob G

Apr 13, 2018
Interesting to hear this, I always assumed the GTD and FR would be basically the same car, just with a different shaped body! How does the Octavia VRS fare in comparison?

Tigerobe

Feb 20, 2017
Interesting to hear this, I always assumed the GTD and FR would be basically the same car, just with a different shaped body! How does the Octavia VRS fare in comparison?

That would be interesting to know. Haven’t driven a vrs so couldn’t comment, and I am seriously thinking of getting a vrs as I need the space now, so any feedback/advice would be appreciated.