Front end rattle

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
Odd that I've only noticed this in the last week or so (but I do tend to have the radio on most of the time)

I've got a clattering noise coming from the front n/s .... it's gotta be the ARB bushes, hasn't it ?

I got an advisory on the rears at it's 4yr service last month, so surprised they didn't pick up on the front TBH

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
When I had clattering underneath it was the undertray coming loose. It's only moulded plastic and foam, but sounds like something much more solid.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
Think I'll warn the garage I'm popping in with it Friday afternoon.

I got it stuck in a field in August and had to saw my way out in reverse, but it doesn't sound clunky enough to be the CV joint(s) (...and there's no grease in the wheel that I've noticed)

I'll report back.

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
I'll go check the undertray now ....I had concerns about this about the time of the service, but I think it was before, so assumed they'd fix it for me

TOL3DO

Is it a clattering sound or a clunk/ knock? because clattering normally means something is loose and clunks and knocks are usually wear to ball joints/ links etc

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
It's definitely something loose.

No discernible difference on or off the power, so think I've eliminated CV joints ....also checked the undertray (now secure, thanks SEAT) and some wildcards like maybe a loose wheel-nut trapped inside the hubcap.

It needs rear wishbone bushes anyway, so a trip to the garage is in store....

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
Inconclusive :(

The rattle's still there, but he's pried and levered everything at the front end and, although not as-new, said nothing needed replacing ....including the rear bushes which SEAT told me were split, and which the garage said come like that :p

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
When does it happen? I.e is it speed related? Maybe something getting blown by the wind as the car gathers speed. Or is when you turn a certain way. Does it make a noise when you turn the steering, left to right, with the car sat static and the engine off? Are you sure none of the front wishbone arms have got split bushes? What about the strut top mount rubbers? They shouldn't deflect too much when you push the car up and down. If the ARB ar ok and the drop links are also ok the the only place left to look would be that the struts are assembled correctly and no broken springs are evident. And the steering rack and it's mounting points aren't defective. I think one side is rigidly fixed to the subframe and the other side has a rubber mounting.

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
Only really noticeable 1-10mph and on smooth-ish surfaces (otherwise it's drowned out by tyre/road/a.n.other noises)

He took it for a drive and said he couldn't hear anything ...tbh I think I've been spoiled by the Toledo's build quality, cos my mates cars rattle and clunk and buzz that much you wouldn't know if anything was broken or not.

Gotta swap the tyres this weekend anyway, so will have a shake of the struts while the wheel's off

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise