Front end vibration

dennisdarcy1992

Jan 9, 2016
2003 1.8t Leon cupra, shudder front passenger side above 60mph gets harder and faster with speed. Not the tracking, wheels are balanced and even changed my wheel bearing. Still happening..Any ideas ? Anyone had this problem before? Thanks in advance for any help given

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Possibly the inner cv joint/s mate, that would be my best guess, they will cause increasing vibrations like you describe.

Last edited:

d.mccarthy16

Aug 3, 2014
I had that before when the passenger top mount bushing went in my Toledo. Once you'd get to 60mph it'd resonate and the whole car would shudder violently.

Sent from my GT-S7580 using Tapatalk

dennisdarcy1992

Jan 9, 2016
Sorry not been getting notifications! Yeah tyres are brand new wheels are balanced just changed my breaks have new shocks and springs on route! Cheeky set of coilovers haha! Went and got new adjustable drop links and new anti roll bars while I was at it thought I'd be as well change the lot. The shudder has developed to almost a constant now. A friend of mine said possibly bent driveshaft or cv joint on the way out ? There's a burring noise at full lock on roundabouts etc now also so I'd imagine possibly cv joint ?

dennisdarcy1992

Jan 9, 2016
Also cv joint.. big job ? Honestly not trying to rack up posts here so I can post links etc haha

dennisdarcy1992

Jan 9, 2016
Inner/outer cv joint somebody want to break this down for me..? Haha I'm honestly not clueless just never had anything to do with cv joints. Obviously the driveshaft has the outer cv joint all as one but to my understanding it's the inner that causes the vibration? Gonna change both the shafts anyway as there not two expensive and I like shiny things

Last edited:

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
The inner joint is where the drive shaft connects to the gearbox/diff. The outer cv joint is where the other end of the drive shaft connects to the wheel.

If you have wear in the outer joint, then you get clicking/knocking while on full steering lock. Wear on the inner one allows the shaft to move around to much at the connection to the gearbox. It usually causes vibration, at certain speeds and when you are accelerating or braking hard.

Last edited:

dennisdarcy1992

Jan 9, 2016
So back again.. Haha! Gonna change the driveshafts tomorrow as my mechanic pal is away until next week and frankly I don't trust the cv to last that long (getting louder) anyone got a link for a quick run through of changing the complete shaft ? Seems easy enough from what I've read just as a go to for any hiccups along the way really! Cheers again! Also inner outer was confusing as I didn't realise there was two on the shaft I was under the impression the inner was in the box! Penny dropped as soon as I read the last reply so cheers mty12345

dennisdarcy1992

Jan 9, 2016
Passenger side shaft all done and dusted. Snapped the ball joint bolts and had to cut the last one with a hacksaw. Got there eventually tho! Last question on the subject though.. Drivers side shaft.. Same set up again ? There's not any differences I should be aware of when doing this one tomorrow ? Thanks for everyone's help and sorry for any stupid questions! I like to be sure of what I'm doing

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
Same as other side mate, I had to cut both my wishbones of at the joints as the bolts kept spinning and couldn't grab them so out came the saw and cut them off

dennisdarcy1992

Jan 9, 2016
Just to end this off changed the drivers side shaft the other week and the cars running perfect again! Thanks for the advice people!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.