Front headlights problems

Chris78

Ive just bought my ibiza 20vt fr 2 weeks ago and after the first moment i picked it up i noticed the drivers side headlight was codensated but i just put it down to it being steam cleaned before i picked it up so i thought id see if it would go after a day or so which it didnt. My issue with this the water will build up it could short out electrics and when the wheather drys up and heats up the light cover will prob go green:( and bassically it just looks crap.

Ive been back to the seat dealer to see about a replacement on the warrenty in which they spun me a line saying its a commen fault with the ibiza and showed me others on the forcourt with the same but not as bad as mine and said seat would not be prepared to replace it on warrentie unless water starts pooling inside the headlight. I ask what i could do about it they told me what they do is get a sheet of whit paper tape it to the headlight cover and turn the headlights on full beam for a while to dry it up ive not tryed this but will be today i just thought i would ask fellow ibiza owners there opinion and if any of you have had the same and have solved it.

Last edited by a moderator:

FR-RUSH

IBIZA FR TDI BLACK MAGIC
Dec 3, 2005
Islington
same old same old, you can search on here for how to solve it. very simple. Its not worth your time going to the dealers. and yes its very common.

Chris78

Thankyou for the search tip RUSH i will remember this if god forbid i have and future problems.

rob c

Ive just bought my ibiza 20vt fr 2 weeks ago and after the first moment i picked it up i noticed the drivers side headlight was codensated but i just put it down to it being steam cleaned before i picked it up so i thought id see if it would go after a day or so which it didnt. My issue with this the water will build up it could short out electrics and when the wheather drys up and heats up the light cover will prob go green:( and bassically it just looks crap.

Ive been back to the seat dealer to see about a replacement on the warrenty in which they spun me a line saying its a commen fault with the ibiza and showed me others on the forcourt with the same but not as bad as mine and said seat would not be prepared to replace it on warrentie unless water starts pooling inside the headlight. I ask what i could do about it they told me what they do is get a sheet of whit paper tape it to the headlight cover and turn the headlights on full beam for a while to dry it up ive not tryed this but will be today i just thought i would ask fellow ibiza owners there opinion and if any of you have had the same and have solved it.

ive had a new ibiza fr and had both my headlights changed with condensation but even the new ones are just as bad.

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
same here both replaced under warranty and the new 1's started doingit too! but not as bad as mine litrally filled a couple of cms up with water :doh: hopefully my NEW xennons 8000k! will burn the condensation away as they will always be on :D :D ive tryed silica gel and it simply worked for a week or two and went back to normal :doh:

they can be replaced under warranty just por a bit of water into your headlamp and go and complain job done ;)

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
I am having exactly the same problem, i waited 7 weeks for my replacment head lamps to arrive and when they did i took the car up to get it fixed and i waited to get the car back and when i went out to it the driver side was steamed up still, so i went straight back in and the dealer told me there was nothing they could do and basically told me to go away. So after all their attitude i contacted the consumer line who told me my car is not of satifactory quality and is also not fit for its purpose under the sale of goods act so i have sent My dealer, seat uk and the finance company a letter each along with pictures and gave them 7 days to respond so it will be interesting to see what they say.

The dealers and also seat uk's attitude is awful which is the most annoying part!

mmmporkpies

I bought my TDI Sport new in 2003 and in the first year I had 3 new pairs of headlights fitted due to condensation. When I went back for more headlights (I was very persistent!) the dealer showed me a letter from SEAT that spelled out that no headlights would be replaced under warranty for condensation problems as they had been tested at the factory and deemed to pass the MoT even when full of water! The dealer had emailed them pictures of my headlights which were totally misted over but they wouldn't budge. I also wrote to SEAT UK and pointed out that in the winter the water on the inside freezes over and dims the lights which isn't exactly safe and they wouldn't budge either.

From what I've read elsewhere there is a dealer fix that involves drilling a couple of holes in the headlight to vent them.

nph

I also have the same problem on passenger side (my car has the driver wheel on the left) but it only occured now (as in the last month). What happend is that it came with the cold weather.
I also have another problem with the lights and maybe someone here can help me.
For some time I've noticed that my light beam is too low and I can't see a thing at night. I've raised it as much as I could from the switches near the steering wheel but still to low. How can I raise it more??

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
I noticed mine is quite low aswell so unless there is a car infront or you have your full beam on it is hard to see.

nph

Yes but somebody told me that you can raise the beam from under the hood. Need some advice !!! :D

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
there are adjusters on the back of the headlights in the engine bay will be a phillips screw

turn your lights on and stand infront of them with the bonnet up you will see the light line on a wall or on your legs when you turn the phillips screw it will raise/lower the beam so turn it the way that goes up :shrug: dont go too far or you will blind other drivers and can also be an mot failure

Potts

i have had the same problem with the headlights on my ibiza tdi. when i picked it up at the dealers i just thought it was due to them power washing the engine. but the mist and water never cleared, and they got replaced under the warranty. but as they do, one of them started to mist up again and i couldnt get them replaced a second time. so i took the back off the lights an put a bag of silica gel (like the ones you get with a pair of new trainers anly bigger ones) in the unit and left them there and eventualuy it absorbed all the moisture and they have stayed clear since.

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
look at these bad boys ive tryed it and didnt really work for me cant really get a bigger silica gel pack :lol:

Image001000.jpg

Potts

those are the type im on about. i got a couple from work but they worked a treat on mine.

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
standard in the new model accordsi do belive :think: well older ones ive repaired dont have them but the new new shape does :shrug:

nph

there are adjusters on the back of the headlights in the engine bay will be a phillips screw

turn your lights on and stand infront of them with the bonnet up you will see the light line on a wall or on your legs when you turn the phillips screw it will raise/lower the beam so turn it the way that goes up :shrug: dont go too far or you will blind other drivers and can also be an mot failure

Thanks mate. So all that I need is that special screw, hope to find it somewhere.

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
wellnot somewhere on the back of the headlamp you dont need to remove any back covers to see the screw and should be visable with bonnet up

nph

thanks rash!! I've raised the beam, very simple, but I have there two for each headlamp (mine is with h4), think they are for horizontal and vertical setting??
And, because we are talking about headlights, I have another question, maybe it has been talked before: Can you install headlight washers if there weren't any from the beginning? I ask thins because last night I had to stop twice to clean my lamps because I couldn't see a thing, and this just for a 100km run!!!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members