Front passenger foot well water leak

myfirstseat

Apr 11, 2015
Perth, Scotland
Hi guys, sorry i know this has been covered probably a million times but I've noticed today that my passenger foot well is damp in one certain spot. I watched it for couple of moments and saw a few drips of water dropping from the little shelf underneath the glove compartment. This was immediately after i had washed the car.. is this likely to be coming through the cabin filter which i understand is accessible through the scuttle panel? Is there anything else i could check for?

Many thanks

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Hi guys, sorry i know this has been covered probably a million times but I've noticed today that my passenger foot well is damp in one certain spot. I watched it for couple of moments and saw a few drips of water dropping from the little shelf underneath the glove compartment. This was immediately after i had washed the car.. is this likely to be coming through the cabin filter which i understand is accessible through the scuttle panel? Is there anything else i could check for?

Many thanks
Can either be the pollen filters (sounds like your problem!) or another source of water ingress is through the door cards - foam sealant gives up after some years so needs resealing with silicon sealant which is what mine needed years ago.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

myfirstseat

Apr 11, 2015
Perth, Scotland
Can either be the pollen filters (sounds like your problem!) or another source of water ingress is through the door cards - foam sealant gives up after some years so needs resealing with silicon sealant which is what mine needed years ago.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thanks, the door seals have been done already (first thing i do with these cars now haha) are there multiple pollen filters or only 1?

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Hi. Sounds like pollen filter problem. There's one under bonnet at rear of bay.
Also rain gutters in each corner at same end under the bonnet, get blocked with years of leaves etc.

andycupra

status subject to change
If dripping from below the glove box it almost certainly will be ingress via the pollen filter.

there is one pollen filter.
location: near cabin on nearside of engine bay. - you will see a section of plastic you can remove to get at it. IIRC held in place with a screw or 2.

Issue:
1 - there is a removable rubbery cover that sits ontop/above the pollen filter. This is not the easiest thing to put in place after the pollen filter and so is often shoved in aggressively by mechanics so could be poorly fitted and/or bent out of shape.
Suggest removal and ensure correct fitment. - just take a moment to take how its fitted before removing.

2- if the drain holes in the scuttle panel area have become clogged then water will not drain away quickly enough.

Last edited:

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
To add to Andy's advice it will be quite likely that the foam seal that is under the filter holder will have rotted. It is not too bad a job to take it all out and reseal using the same butyl rubber strips as advised for doing the door carriers.

You could use a sealant tube but if you ever need to take it apart again you will regret using the silicone.

Done right it will last years.

The same applies for the entry box from the engine bay into the bulkhead on the other side but it is a fair bit fiddlier as you will find it easier to take the wiper assembly out to get room to work. Also to get the cover nicely off you need to disconnect the wiring plugs which are a pain.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
As mentioned above, probably the cabin air filter lid.
But I have to say, those people recommending silicone ("bathroom") sealant to fix the doors are going to be disappointed quite soon now. It fails, because it's not meant for metal car doors that shake around a lot. It will crack and start to leak again.
The proper fix is the VAG seal replacement - I can only describe it as a non-setting sealant cord - which has to replace all the decayed foam seal round the door card. How do I know? I bought a Toledo on which "the doors had been fixed". With silicone, as I found out. They started leaking after one winter.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise