Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

Front Wiper - Motor/Linkage or spindles?

Discussion in 'Arosa' started by beardo, Feb 21, 2012.

1. beardo

beardo Active Member

Hi There,

The wipers on my wife's Arosa stopped working this morning. She had the RAC out as she is at work, the guy managed to get them working again by spraying some lubricant onto the linkage joints. He stated though that he thought the motor might be on it's way out.

I can get a new motor for about £30.

1. Is this something that a non mechanic could tackle? The parts place reckon it is - but I don't have the car in front of me so can't see...

2. As the motor is actually operational, could it not be the wiper mechanism ceasing? Eg. If I get a motor, I am worried that it might not be a total cure..

I appreciate that none of you can see the car yourselves, but, having searched this forum there seem to be more cases of failed linkages and spindkles/mechanisms than motors.....

TIA for any info.

2. neil72

neil72 Newbie

Did both wipers stop working or just one ? The pass side linkage failed on the daughters car,and I managed to change it without removing the windscreen trim,and only £12 a pair,but if it is needing a new motor,it should be strightforward,just be very careful removing the plastic windscreen trim.
    Make sure the motor is in the park position before you refit the wiper arms....made that mistake on a Rover 45,not pretty.

3. beardo

beardo Active Member

Thanks Neil.

I was right to be sceptical. I took it all apart and one of the wiper spindles had ceased up completely. The linkages were fine. Managed to get a free moving complete wiper mechanism from the scrappy for £30. I oiled it up and switched them over, put the old motor back on and the jobs a good un.

I had a read about and found some useful info on clublupo about getting in at the parts, so managed to do it without breaking the windscreen trim!

Phew!

#3 beardo, Feb 26, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012