frustrated and fed up. :(

Leightonw87

Dec 24, 2018
I recently bought a 1.4 Ibiza S for £300 which was all I could afford at the time (I was expecting some issues), got it back home and realized the rear door was jammed and theres no life in the horn. There is also issues with the instrument cluster bulbs and small leak in the boot, I do know where it is now though and could easily be remedied with new sealant.

Before we got the rear door unjammed my two front window regulators broke on me, one was when winding it back up and the other time it might have been frozen shut and stupid me seeing the first was naffed I only buggered up the drivers side too.

I've managed to keep the windows up with thick corrugated cardboard which seems to hold quite well so we thought first we really need to sort out that door, I got a lock from a breakers yard which I was told was working and good, took it to a garage that specializes in electrics to have it fitted so I though that was the best option considering it a central locking issue and my usual mechanic was too busy. As the door was jammed they spent ages trying to open it, they broke another window regulator by drilling the whole this out BEFORE they informed me they had to do that to open the door and now I got a constantly unlocked door with a busted window, they didn't even bother testing to see if it locked...

I took it back to the garage after some lunch and a coffee as I needed to calm down and when I got there it looked like he was either hiding from me or hiding something from me (He was quite ignorant too as he was sat in the office playing a game on his mobile phone in front of me while I was talking to him) , I asked him about the fact it didn't lock and all he did was come with me to the car and slam the door open and close while pressing the remote. I've lost all respect for this garage after this.

I have to admit it did lock once or twice but it seems to be stuck in a unlocked
state now so not too happy, I suppose it is opening though (until it decide to deadlock itself again) but handle inside does nothing and no immobilizer light on drivers door anymore either.

I took it to my usual mechanic was too busy as mentioned before and he told me wait till the MOT in April and see how it goes and if it fails badly just get rid of it.

I know it will most likely fail but I'm not really bothered by that, it would't be so bad if I wasn't on a restricted income either or these things could easily be fixed. (Not by that garage though)

Sorry about what turned into a rant but needed to blow some steam off, I do like the car even with it's many issues while only owning it for a few weeks but if I had know these cars were troublesome like this I would never have touched it...

Has anyone had a predicament like me?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
If you are low on funds, you really do need to take control of carrying out your own repairs or a cheap car will always turn into a money pit - really no way round that, start learning/teaching yourself about repairing things, paying someone else is a mug's game or a rich person's game - nothing is impossible it only takes time and commitment from you to sort this out cheaply.

Leightonw87

Dec 24, 2018
If you are low on funds, you really do need to take control of carrying out your own repairs or a cheap car will always turn into a money pit - really no way round that, start learning/teaching yourself about repairing things, paying someone else is a mug's game or a rich person's game - nothing is impossible it only takes time and commitment from you to sort this out cheaply.

We did try looking at it ourselves and watching many videos but I think it is due to lack of knowledge, tools and a dry flat area to work on the car comfortably that stops me doing a lot on the car. Not keen on getting soaked.

I have fixed many issues before on my previous cars (Vauxhall Astra and Zafira and a Citroen AX) but since having the car before this (Peugeot 307 SW) I lost any motivation to work on cars, it was difficult to do anything on it.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
I don't think you need to muller the window reg to get the door unlocked, drill out the rivets holding it in place sure but you can just pop some new ones in and it'll be totally fine.

Even then if the reg works it's a fairly simple procedure to pop the glass out and then remove the reg and backing plate.

Madda

Feb 8, 2015
Wakefield
Rum4mo is right try and fix most of the things yourself. Iv got a ibiza 1.4 on 02 plate and the things iv fixed and replaced my self has saved me loads. The 1.4 8valve is so easy to work on and it’s a nice project in time iv had car iv changed standard seats for cupra black half leather drivers door lock window switch coz window wouldn’t go down starter motor aux belt alternator brakes front and rear . I’m no mechanic but you can save money.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.