Fuel Consumption

hungabunga

Mar 11, 2005
I have had the Leon TDI 130 for around 6 months and it's the first diesel car I have ever had so I was quiet happy with 42 mpg I have been getting. I have been reading a few posts on mpg and it seems I should be getting more, at the moment I get 460 to a tank (thats with doing another 30 miles when the light comes on).
I have grannied it for a full tank and got 490 so I was a bit disappointed I couldn't get past the 500 mile mark.
I do more road than motorway mileage, but still manage 22 motorway miles per day going to work.

Thanks for your time

Sully

Sisson

Club member
Aug 18, 2005
Derbyshire
how much moneys worth do you put in your tank?

i put £40 in mine which is 43 litres and can easily get 500 miles. 55mpg is achieved easily and 60 mpg if your really try.

btw: its an ibiza sport

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
On a slight aside Yello on these forums is doing some testing at the moment on different fuel types, five consecutive tanks of each IIRC, average economy etc just to see the benefits of Tesco Fuel v BP ultimate v other etc.

His car does the same basic route each day to work so the results should be interesting.

craig-pd130

May 7, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
Have you had it from brand new? How many miles has it done?

Depends on your driving style and usage but an average of 42-ish is not too far wide of the mark. For best economy, keep it between 2000 and 3000rpm in all gears.

To give you an idea, my 6-speed Passat PD130 has given an average of 47mpg (that's real mpg, not computer) over 35,000 miles. The Passat weighs about the same and is more aerodynamic.

On a motorway run of 100+ miles I have to be caning it to get less than 50mpg on the computer, and it's usually around 53 - 55mpg. The computer on mine is about 5% optimistic.

Might be worth changing the airfilter -- the scheduled interval is 30K miles but I opened my airbox at 20K and I was appalled at the amount of crap (leaves, twigs, dust, sand) in there. A new filter is about a tenner.

dmjw01

Upstanding Member
Jul 28, 2005
Woking, UK
www.dmjwilliams.co.uk
craig-pd130 said:
For best economy, keep it between 2000 and 3000rpm in all gears.
That's interesting. I've often wondered whether I'd get better mpg if I tried harder to keep the turbo on-boost. When settled at a steady speed, I usually pick a gear that gives about 1500 or so rpm - do you reckon I'd see an improvement if I dropped down a gear?

hungabunga

Mar 11, 2005
I got the car 12months old with 18K on clock, I have had it serviced at 20K and currently it's on 24K.
The mpg I quoted is computer calculated mpg, and I am putting around £45-48 don't know how many litres that is.
I do cann it now and again but like I said I have tried driving like a granny with gentle acceleration and still didn't get 500 miles.
From what I have read it could be N75, N18(EGR) or the MAF. I will try and find my Vagcom lead and do some loggin.

Thanks
Sully

banger 115

May 19, 2005
Hi all,

got 545 out of mi new fr+ from the first tank... around 60mph tho lots of motorway driving.

plus a quick blast to 4k on the rev counter to see just how fast these things are.....

craig-pd130

May 7, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
According to the instantaneous mpg readout, my economy is better at above 2000rpm than below. The best trade-off for speed and mpg for the Passat is 2600 in 6th = 82mph. This gives a sustained 65 - 70mpg when cruising, and around a 55+mpg average on a 200mile motorway trip.

wrc

May 1, 2005
TAMWORTH
i have had my car now for 5 weeks.
on the first tank of fuel, which cost me £45 to fill as there was some already in there,
i got 544 miles, 4 weeks running & trip computor saying 20 miles left, but i have been doing over the 3 figure mark, but very please with the performance & econmony

AndyVTR

Mar 19, 2002
Hmmm, I sit at just under 70mph at 2k... I can get 52-55 on a full tank (manually calculated).

Mostly on the M62.

FriarFR

Jul 3, 2005
Hampshire
i wouldnt worry too much - there are so mmany variables.... anything above 40 is good value for money if you ask me....

incidentally - since mine's been revo'd i would note the following: off-motorway driving gives worse consumption figures now, but on-motorway driving gives much better...

overall though i guess consumption is a little worse. but that maybe cos i'm still playin around with the throttle...!

having said that, the average mpg since revo (2000 miles ago) is 42mpg.

craig-pd130

May 7, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
@ hungabunga -- if you're over 40mpg consistently then it's unlikely there's a real problem with the car. Maybe change the airfilter and maybe take it out and give it a solid caning, like hitting 4000rpm through the gears several times over to clear it out -- then see how it goes.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members