Fuel Filler Cap Holder...

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
A bit of a sad thing for my first thread.

However my previous cars, and the majority of hire cars I drive through work, all have a place to stick the fuel filler cap when filling up.

With the new Leon it just hangs there by the earthing strap.

Am I missing something or is there a way to hook it without it resting on paint work?

If not has anyone created a solution.

Seems a bit pants considering the likes of cheaper manufacturers are capable of sorting it.

epts2008

rule the bends
Mar 19, 2009
Chelmsford, Essex
I thought this but if you look at the cap it has quarterly cut-outs on the cap that you can clip over the outside of the flap. It is naff compared to the clip on my old mk1!!

Kaza

Female Petrolhead :)
Jul 5, 2010
Kent
I don't see why it would need anything. Have to say I've never thought about this as an issue!

Same, I've never used the strap anyway as I don't like the idea of it hanging there resting on the paint work. I just put it on the petrol pump and put it back when I'm done!

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I thought this but if you look at the cap it has quarterly cut-outs on the cap that you can clip over the outside of the flap. It is naff compared to the clip on my old mk1!!

you can clip it over, i never bother though

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I never noticed that it had a clip/cut outs, will have to investigate.

Don't like idea of disconnecting earthing strap (assuming that's what it is) and leaving it on the fuel pump in case you forget it.

tony323ci

Lovin' it
May 15, 2011
Nottingham
It's not an earthing strap I don't think as it is plastic it is simply a way to stop you loosing the cap or driving away with it on the roof or the petrol pump
It is the one thing I think is really poor every other car I have had where the cap is captivated in this way had also had a proper holder inside the flap instead of just letting it dangle on the paintwork

Kaza

Female Petrolhead :)
Jul 5, 2010
Kent
I never noticed that it had a clip/cut outs, will have to investigate.

Don't like idea of disconnecting earthing strap (assuming that's what it is) and leaving it on the fuel pump in case you forget it.

The fact there's a hole that needs covering after you've filled up, it's pretty obvious not to forget it :). The strap on mine broke which is the reason why I do it.

However, I'm sure there are some people who have forgotten it!

Last edited:

tony323ci

Lovin' it
May 15, 2011
Nottingham
I've seen many a car not just seat driving down the road with the flap shut and the cap dangling around because the dozy driver has forgot to put it back

Another alternative used is a locking cap that is fully removable that uses use your ignition key to lock/ unlock therefore you cannot forget to put it back not an option with Seat though

X cupra

Nov 4, 2012
Oxford
Funny i actually noticed this today as it was the first time iv put fuel in the leon since having it,like yourself all my other cars have had a convieniant place to store/clip the cap in place whilst the leon doesnt,but of course it does have cut outs in the cap so i suppose yea you could use this

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
I'll investigate next time I need to fuel! Based on my fantastic mpg since remap it might be a while haha!

Last edited:

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
On the MINI and BMW its an earthing strap. Possibly because they were plastic covered metal caps.

I may look at getting some kind if hook that the cut outs can fit on rather than possibility if scratching the fuel cap cover.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.