Fuel filter priming - VCDS

Windydave13

Mar 20, 2016
I need to change the fuel filter on my 2010 TDI.

From what i read, i need to prime it via VCDS which is all fine. Perhaps a silly question, but when i prime it do i need to have the exit hose attached or do i prime it till its full and then attach? Also do i need to clamp off the exit hose before re-attaching to avoid any air locks in the system or does the priming proceedure fix that??

And last question, everything i read suggests 3 cycles of 30s however some say it might need several 60s cycles. Bar it not starting is there any obvious sign that its primed? Noise, visual etc???

Dave

Big Vinny

Oct 14, 2012
As you have not had a reply from a current Exeo owner I will share my experience. The Exeo CR diesel fuel filter is not self priming like the older PD ones.

The fuel filter is inline and horizontal. You need to re-attach the clamped hose to one end of the new filter, raise the filter vertically and FILL THE FILTER with diesel using a cup and small funnel. Re-attach the clamped other end allowing as little air to enter as posible Then you cycle the two fuel pumps using VCDS. It's years since I have done this and recall a fuel tank fuel pump and and engine fuel pump primed seperately both three or four times. Do NOT attempt to prime an empty fuel pump or you will just flatten the battery.

I cant remember which end to attach first but I would use hose clamps on both ends anyway. Good luck ! I don't normally do a disclaimer but on this occasion I will make an exception as the first time I did it I didn't fill the new filter correctly and couldn't get it to start !

Windydave13

Mar 20, 2016
Cheers for the reply. I replaced it the other week and followed the RossTech instructions on priming 3 times via VCDS for 30s a peice. On the first prime i could hear the air being purged and the 2nd two very little noise. After doing this the car wouldn;t start so i primed again for 60s as suggested on a lot of forums. Again it wouldn;t start so i let it crank for about 5s (seemed like a lifetime at the time) and it fired up straight away and now runs fine.

When i do it next i'll do as you suggest and clamp the hoses rather than letting them run back and also fill the filter manually and then prime again.

Definitely a squeaky bum moment when it didn;t fire up straight away!!

Reactions: westcoastjeeper
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members