Fuel flap, should it lock?

Easen

Hello there,

I have just purchased a Seat Leon MK2 (2008) and I happy with everything apart from the fact the fuel flap does not seem to lock. My question is, should it lock? It seems to have a latch on the flap it self but nothing seems to lock it.

(Sorry for not posting something more interesting first post, haha.)

Easen

Mine doesn't seem to lock.

Is it possible that a fuse has blown? Do you know where they are located?

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
There is a little motorised bolt that should lock the fuel cap. I would guess that it doesn't work or the square hole that the bolt goes through is broken off.

I would be very surprised if there was a fuse dedicated to the fuel flap lock motor though, sorry.

If you lock the car with the fuel flap open you should see a little silver rod poke out from about the 10 o'clock position, it pokes out at an angle pointing down.

Maybe squirt some WD40 in there but make sure your inner fuel cap is screwed in first.

Signor Whippy

Mar 16, 2009
God's Country
It's probably been broken into before by someone trying to steal fuel. If this is the case, get to a motor factors and buy a locking fuel cap for the time being

Easen

Just a update guys...

The fuel flap does lock, but when you press the lock button again on the key fob it unlocks the fuel flap. My previous car you had to press the lock button and then again, once to lock it and once again to arm the alarm.

Thanks for all your comments!

I believe the second click unlocks the deadlocks and disables the interior sensors but keeps the alarm on. It's for if you leave the window cracked open or have a pet in the car etc.

I use it if I'm paying for fuel and the little one is asleep in the car, so she won't set the alarm off if she wakes up.

tehguy

Sep 9, 2010
Why would you want it to unlock the fuel flap? The point of pressing the lock button twice is so you can leave the car locked to the outside world but leave pets or child in the car, eg when paying for fuel. The ultrasonic alarm sensors are also disabled.

The outside door handles won't work but the inside ones WILL. That's the difference. So anyone inside can get out, but people outside can't in (except the person with the key).

I don't see why you'd want the fuel flap unlocked in that situation.

saveoursouls

Jul 4, 2018
Manchester
Just a update guys...

The fuel flap does lock, but when you press the lock button again on the key fob it unlocks the fuel flap. My previous car you had to press the lock button and then again, once to lock it and once again to arm the alarm.

Thanks for all your comments!
Bit of a necro post but thanks! Realised my fuel cap lock isn’t broken after all.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.