Fuel Gauge 1.4TSI

Diamond123

Feb 19, 2016
Ive filled my 2018 Leon full of petrol (nearly £50) and it registered about 475mile range which is fine. 90miles later on the trip, I’ve gained 5miles to now 480miles... is it me or does this sound odd ?? This evening it did drop to 470miles but now I’m back at 475.,.

I’ve seen ppl say sometimes it tends to stay full for awhile then drop quick ? Just strange never really seen it before.

There’s one of two threads that touch on it albeit they relate to older Leon’s.

Last edited:
Reactions: seatgraham

CovFC87

Mar 29, 2019
It massively depends on how you're driving, i.e. your current consumption will determine how many miles it thinks you've got left in the tank

Sent from my Razer using Tapatalk

Reactions: seatgraham

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
When I fill mine, I get roughly 130miles to the 1st bar then approx 50 miles per bar of fuel afterwards.

The range mileage is an estimate and will fluctuate depending on how you drive / outdoor temperature etc. 470-500 would be normal for it to estimate after you’ve filled up.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
depends on your average mpg since the last trip...eg...say I was driving in the city earlier and I did 40mpg...my range would say be 350 miles when I parked up. Later in the evening, I drove another 20 miles, but I did 55mpg, it's not uncommong for either the range to go up, or stay around the 350 mark, even after 20 miles later...as the others say, the 1st bar lasts a long time...perhaps also due to the shape of the tank..

Feb 4, 2019
I find on my 184 TDI that for the first loads of miles as you say the estimated range doesn't drop. I suspect this is because I always brim it to the max and it only measures what's in the tank itself so there's probably a few litres atleast in the pipe down to the pipe and before the level register actually sees any changes. If you're then driving efficiently it thinks you've used no fuel and therefore the range goes up as for a full tank you'll go further.

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
As others have said, the range is calculated based on your average consumption, the higher that is the higher your range will get, to a point obviously.

I commonly get around 500 to a tank if I was to run it to empty. Typically top up at around 450-470 with 30-50 mile range left.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

davidstarkey11

Jun 7, 2015
Newcastle upon Tyne
Ran
Ive filled my 2018 Leon full of petrol (nearly £50) and it registered about 475mile range which is fine. 90miles later on the trip, I’ve gained 5miles to now 480miles... is it me or does this sound odd ?? This evening it did drop to 470miles but now I’m back at 475.,.

I’ve seen ppl say sometimes it tends to stay full for awhile then drop quick ? Just strange never really seen it before.

There’s one of two threads that touch on it albeit they relate to older Leon’s.

Range is essentially the volume of fuel in your tank divided by your current average consumption. So as you drive, if your consumption increases the range will increase as well.

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
My gauge never goes past 390 miles when I fill it, as said for the first 60 - 70 miles it doesn't move, then after that, regardless of how eco friendly my foot is, I end up getting around 370 miles from a full tank. Got to say i thought I would get better MPG but most of my journeys are 5 - 10 miles long so guess that is why it isn't amazing.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members