Fuel Gauge/External Temp Sensor

Apr 24, 2019
To start the story the Dogbone Mount broke and the engine shifted forward. This caused serious damage to the Air Con system the auxiliary belt got chewed up and also destroyed the Air Con plug and wiring nearest the belt also the Air Con pipe has been busted. As a result It has caused a short in the wiring. The casing for the wiring has melted and it has travelled back through the looms. It keeps blowing fuses 4/14 and 40 all the heating fuses. Fuse 4 and 40 blew to the point that the fuss casing melted. When the Mrs was going out in the car she turned the steering wheel and the horn jammed on as well. Now I have issues with the instrument cluster. The fuel gauge doesn't work and the external air temp sensor reads -17/-35 degrees.
I have changed the sensor for a new one no difference at all. I have a new fuel sender on the way but cant see it making a difference.

Anyone got any help or best taking to a auto electrical place. Thank you

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
All of the damaged wiring will need replacing so yes, you're best off getting someone who knows what they're doing to sort it.

Apr 24, 2019
All of the damaged wiring will need replacing so yes, you're best off getting someone who knows what they're doing to sort it.

Yea thought that would be the case. Think its just a spiders web of knackered wiring now.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
It was the bolt that gave up. Guessing there was too much torque or I was too heavy on the pedal.

That's unfortunate. Too late now, but I was reading yday that when the bush is changed, there's a service item to use an upgraded bolt. So I assume this was a common fault at one point.

Apr 24, 2019
That's unfortunate. Too late now, but I was reading yday that when the bush is changed, there's a service item to use an upgraded bolt. So I assume this was a common fault at one point.

Must be. Caused a shed load of damage. Ground a chunk into my turbo inlet, busted a boost pipe, pulled exhaust apart and destroyed my wiring and aux belt. So yeah big issues now. Got a revo dogbone mount coming. Going to send my turbo off to Turbo Dynamics as they built it hopefully no damage to the compressor and such. Didnt feel like there was an issue still pulled like a train.

Apr 24, 2019
Just an update on this. Had the aircon loom rewired and made all safe. Now the issue i have is the fuel gauge and outside air temp are still no good. Fuel gauge is dead. I hooked up to another fuel pump and set the float to half tank to see if its my sender but the needle on gauge didnt move. As for the air temp i changed the sensor for a new one but still reads either -35 or -17.5 so that doesnt work. Could it be an issue with the cluster now? All earths were checked and sorted when it was re-wired.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.