Fuel level sender resistance

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Hiya

Does anyone have a fuel level sender from a Mk2 beeza sitting in the shed? This is part of the fuel pump assembly that sits inside the tank.

Have been trying to estimate what resistance range it might be by applying different voltages to the dash fuel guage wires - 5V is below half a tank and approx 12V is full, meaning that low resistance is full, and high resistance is empty.

Found on the net info for Corrado sender suggsting 350 Ohm is empty, 160 Ohm is half, and 50 Ohm is full.

So its likely to be something like this. But could use some confirmation.

Anyone got a sender in the shed from a broken car, or from a busted fuel pump repair?

Thanks

Rob

Last edited:

jamesvb

Yes Rob,I have a spare one in the shed that I can measure the resistance of if you like.
Hazarding a guess at why you want to know,I'd say your gauge isn't reading full when the tank is full? - If so,the fault is likely to be what I had with mine. Check that the arrows on the sender and tank are exactly in line,and if not loosen the locking ring enough to move the sender until they are. I don't know how they come to move apart,but it stops the float going all the way to the top due to the top of the tank not being flat.

James

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
It would be great if you can, i need to know so i can get a sender for a race fuel tank and still use my dash gauge. A selection of ohm readings at different positions on the float would be grand!

Cheers for help

jamesvb

Ok Rob,will dig it out and measure the resistance in various positions for you.

James

jamesvb

Right then Rob,I've dug out the pump/sender and measured the resistances as follows:
Float at bottom 300 ohms
approx 1/4 195 ohms
approx 1/2 115 ohms
approx 3/4 80 ohms
top 37 ohms
This sender came from a '98 8V Cupra,but according to Vagcat they are pretty universal throughout the range.
Good luck with the project and let me know if I can help further.

James

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Thats fantastic, thanks a lot for this James. The guess from a corrado sender was close, but your measurements confirm it.

Need to get a sender made to those specs now. Will post up details as i get them. Thinking of a capacitance-type.

Thanks gain.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.