fuel pump upgrade

JKM

SCN Sponsor
Apr 25, 2005
If it helps you sway to a discission, I can confirm that the inline Walbro pump is loud !
I have been running a Walbro 255 inline for a couple of years now.... Flow wise the pump is excellent but i just wish I had gone for the Bosch 044 now as these are just as good (if not better) for flow, but alot quieter!

JKM

SCN Sponsor
Apr 25, 2005
The noise is the pump itself :-(
I have seen some very trick installations to try and remove the noise, some even putting the pump in an alluminuim case and lining that with Dynamat!
I think that this is well over the top as it is not that loud!!!
To be honest you will probabily only notice it on idle, as I suspect that your exhaust note will cancle it out once you are going.
Its quite whiney, but its a good pump so dont worry about that.

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Any things to worry about using the inline setup with an OEM pump tho? What if the main pump fails? Can the walbro continue pumping?

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
:doh:
My excuse is it's very hard to get a jack under the back of my car. :rolleyes:

Having studied the fitting instructions on USRT at great length, I went to fit my Walbro pump.

I'd believed that the instructions and pics were based on Golf MkIV.

Nothing like :cry:.
There's nowhere obvious to put it underneath the Leon. The fuel filter is tucked into a little gap between body and tank. Also the Leon fittings are completely different.

I thought about tucking it into the sill, but if I wiped the sill off, bye-bye pump.

Back to the drawing board. :censored:

Last edited:

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
I emailed Scott at USRT yesterday for some fitting sizes and he helpfully came back with the following suggestion, being used on big turbo MkIVs in the states. (I'd thought of it, but wasn't 100% sure it would be ok)

inline_underhood.jpg

:thumbup:
USRT are great, friendly people to deal with. :yes:

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Is that position ok and did he say anything about failures or anything to do with the capabilities of running standard and inline pumps?

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Is that position ok and did he say anything about failures or anything to do with the capabilities of running standard and inline pumps?

No issues with failures, Phil. It's fine to run them in series. I think you could prove this by pulling the power on each of them and check the car runs ok.
The only issue I'd pick up on is the max recommended working temp for the pump is 65 degrees C- but it's got cool fuel running through it. :shrug: I'll check the body temp on mine after install and a blast.

I'm trying to find somewhere to mount the Water/Methanol pump at the moment.

My wife has been very tollerant of my 'interest' (obsession) up until now, but I think I might have blown it yesterday evening with the 5 gallon drum of methanol in the front hall.