1. Hi Guest. We've recently updated our forum rules. Please take some time to review them. You can read the new rules here
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

fuel pump upgrade

Discussion in 'Turbo Forum' started by sharkemir, Apr 19, 2007.

Tags:
  1. JKM

JKM SCN Sponsor

If it helps you sway to a discission, I can confirm that the inline Walbro pump is loud !
    I have been running a Walbro 255 inline for a couple of years now.... Flow wise the pump is excellent but i just wish I had gone for the Bosch 044 now as these are just as good (if not better) for flow, but alot quieter!

2. DPJ

DPJ ...........

I'm fitting my Walbro next weekend. I wish you'd held off posting for a fortnight. :D

Big price difference between the Walbro and the Bosch. :shrug:

3. PhilW

What is the difference dave?

I'm still undecided on what to do tho.

4. DPJ

DPJ ...........

Noise and another £50, I reckon Phil. :shrug: Plus the 044 Bosch comes bare whereas the Walbro has a fitting kit (minus electrics and a bit of hose).

Is the noise body transmitted vibration, JKM, or the pump itself?

5. JKM

JKM SCN Sponsor

The noise is the pump itself :-(
    I have seen some very trick installations to try and remove the noise, some even putting the pump in an alluminuim case and lining that with Dynamat!
    I think that this is well over the top as it is not that loud!!!
    To be honest you will probabily only notice it on idle, as I suspect that your exhaust note will cancle it out once you are going.
    Its quite whiney, but its a good pump so dont worry about that.

6. DPJ

DPJ ...........

Thanks for that, you've put my mind at rest. :)

7. PhilW

Any things to worry about using the inline setup with an OEM pump tho? What if the main pump fails? Can the walbro continue pumping?

8. DPJ

DPJ ...........

:shrug: My assumption would be the inline pump could keep on sucking petrol (through the OEM pump) otherwise there would be little point in fitting it. :shrug:

9. DPJ

DPJ ...........

:doh:
    My excuse is it's very hard to get a jack under the back of my car. :rolleyes:

Having studied the fitting instructions on USRT at great length, I went to fit my Walbro pump.

I'd believed that the instructions and pics were based on Golf MkIV.

Nothing like :cry:.
    There's nowhere obvious to put it underneath the Leon. The fuel filter is tucked into a little gap between body and tank. Also the Leon fittings are completely different.

I thought about tucking it into the sill, but if I wiped the sill off, bye-bye pump.

Back to the drawing board. :censored:

#29 DPJ, Sep 22, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  10. DPJ

DPJ ...........

I emailed Scott at USRT yesterday for some fitting sizes and he helpfully came back with the following suggestion, being used on big turbo MkIVs in the states. (I'd thought of it, but wasn't 100% sure it would be ok)

[​IMG]

:thumbup:
    USRT are great, friendly people to deal with. :yes:

11. PhilW

Is that position ok and did he say anything about failures or anything to do with the capabilities of running standard and inline pumps?

12. DPJ

DPJ ...........

No issues with failures, Phil. It's fine to run them in series. I think you could prove this by pulling the power on each of them and check the car runs ok.
    The only issue I'd pick up on is the max recommended working temp for the pump is 65 degrees C- but it's got cool fuel running through it. :shrug: I'll check the body temp on mine after install and a blast.

I'm trying to find somewhere to mount the Water/Methanol pump at the moment.

My wife has been very tollerant of my 'interest' (obsession) up until now, but I think I might have blown it yesterday evening with the 5 gallon drum of methanol in the front hall.

13. Ginge81990

14. Gui

Gui Active Member

Will this work?