Fuel Temp Sensor Fault

unclebob

Jul 22, 2009
Firstly not sure if this is the right place for the post so apologies if it should have been in diagnostics!

Engine management light came on while i was on holiday (mum was using the car).
When i came back, the engine is running rough, and vag com comes back with the following:

Address 01: Engine Labels: 03G-906-016-BKD.lbl
Part No SW: 03G 906 016 HE HW: 028 101 229 1
Component: R4 2,0L EDC G000SG 7000
Revision: 12345678 Serial number: SEZ7Z0E3077378
Coding: 0050072
Shop #: WSC 06402 785 00200
VCID: 6DDACB060D0A

1 Fault Found:
16567 - Fuel Temp. Sensor A (G81): Open or Short to Plus
P0183 - 000 - - - Intermittent
Readiness: 1 1 0 0 0

--------------------------------------------------------

Took this bit to VWTPS but he was unable to identify the part.
Does someone have the right part number i should be replacing it with?
and also can someone provide me with a pic showing where the sensor is?

The car is a Seat Altea 2.0tdi - BKD engine.

Last edited:

unclebob

Jul 22, 2009
Thanks Viking,

Took the part no to TPS, helpful guy on the counter told me to check the wire for breakages before buying the sensor...

Did that and found that it’s the wire that’s broken, I guess the sensor is fine...

Problem is, the wire has broken from the connector so I have nothing to extend or solder onto...

TPS guy, said they don’t sell the connector, the harness itself is £200… so any ideas where I can get the connector from?

connector2.jpg

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
A pair of side cutters and a trip to the scrappies would get you one I'm sure. There'll be many cars with the same connector, not just on the temperature sensor at a guess.

unclebob

Jul 22, 2009
Thanks Viking,

That's what plan b was - i cant get to my local scrapyard till tues/wed earliest and its the only one in the area that will allow customers to take bits off the cars, but is fairly small... so hopefully they have a couple of cars from the vw group around!

unclebob

Jul 22, 2009
Towcester_vag, that's what the plan is- I've just found a piece from my old break pad which I'll try on for size- if it doesn't fit then do you know the "technical" description or a part number that I can give to tps? When I spoke to the guy he didnt know!!!

CupraMVR

Awesome GTi Technician
Oct 19, 2006
Crewe Cheshire
very common issue on all diesel cars with the fuel temp sensor, the wiring loom seems to be too short and with the engine rocking back and forth snaps the wiring.

unclebob

Jul 22, 2009
Thanks for the part numbers, managed to find a suitable replacement- my sisters polo had front break pads change recently, and the sensor connector is the same so snipped the connector off, soldering iron out and soldered the new connector on.

cupramvr: didn't know about others but immediately noticed that it was short on mine, struggled to have enough play when taking the connector off, so I soldered the entire length of the new cable on, extending it by approx 15cm. Bonus with using the break connector is that it seems a bit more covered and protected. Has a sleeve over the wires and also the actual entry of the wire into the connector.

Soldered it on, plugged it in and used the vag-com to clear the fault. Went for a drive and could feel a difference already! Sat in a fair bit of traffic in Wembley but no light for engine management so far, so seems to have done the job!

May be the same problem for my other problem- environment temperature sensor but that one seems not so easy to check by eye!

So tip for anyone changing break pads soon- may be worth cutting off the sensor feed cable and connector off your old set just in case you need one!!!

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.