Fuel's the wrong colour

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
The garage who are looking at my car have said the diesel in my filter is yellow instead of blue.

anyone know why this might be?

vngtx

you taking it to the amatuers at quikfit? petrol is blue, diesel is yellow.

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
hmmmmm.

I'll wait til it's fixed before naming, it's at an authorised Seat dealers, but yeah, it went in for a dpf regen, blocked to 78%, won't regen on the laptop, so they're investigating why it won't regen, and the latest update was the above about the fuel.

kinda explains why i couldn't find anything similar online :lol:

vngtx

just the colour it looks like in a plastic translucent container. its not actually blue.

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
Well he definitely said "the fuels yellow" as that's the bit i wrote down, so it's definitely diesel. (i knew it was diesel, there was no way my car would've done 60/70 miles after filling it with £20 of petrol from near as damn it empty)

perhaps the front of house guy got confused when the mechanic said "well it's definitely diesel as the fuels yellow and not blue" :shrug:

vngtx

if they find anything else wrong id suggest doing research or getting a second opinion...... next thing you know your headlight fluid pump will break ;)

vngtx

in that case, i think the turbo may be the wrong one, was supposed to be a bigger one and i recall your seats were supposed to be gold plated...

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Never heard of blue petrol either, if that's any help. :shrug:

It does tend to have a blue tinge. Filling up a motorbike you get to see fuel close up, unlike cars where the whole process is isolated from your enquiring eyes. There is one brand of petrol that has a green tinge, I think it might be Tesco fuel.

As far as I know, pure petrol is colourless, it's the additives that change the colour. I'm pretty sure pure diesel is also colourless?:shrug:

In any case, the colour of the fuel shouldn't make any difference, and you're right, if you had put petrol in there, you wouldn't have even got to the garage! :)

conkerman

Oct 18, 2006
Sounds like a load of Crap to me. Name and Shame :)

In general both Gasoline and Diesel are Pale yellow in colour. Some refineries knock out colourless stuff, but the bulk of the UK product is pale yellow, and once you have 5% FAME in there it's more yellow. Diesel fuel often has a flourescent bluey/green tinge, but is definately yellow in most cases.

The only blue Gasoline I know about is 100LL Avgas.

The Garage are talking utter Shash!

Conks

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
I would have though of petrol as being bluish, hence the colour petrol blue, but I think thats maybe more of an assumption I had, can't say I've ever put much though to it.

All I know is I lifted the green pump for the old car, and the black one for the new one :) haha

vngtx

i thought the petrol companys coloured the fuel so they could people could tell the difference. when you mix petrol and diesel it just turns yellow.

conkerman

Oct 18, 2006
The fact that we disagree on the colour (although I am right :) ) is not the point. The point is the garage are talking rubbish. I think we all agree on that!!

Conks

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members