funny smell from under the car

bluekart

Please can someone help me, in the cold weather their is a horrible smell that comes from under the car. and I have checked and there is no dead bodies. Is it something to do with the booster heater ? is it something that can be fixed. Or do we need to disconnect the heater.?
Please help. thanks

The aux heater burns diesel so it will smell a bit! how much smoke is it produceing? lots? if it is? what colour smoke? the most common failure on these units are the glow plugs oiling up and causing an incomplete burn! hence the smoke and unburt fuel smell :blink: if for any reason it fails to ignite FIVE times it will shut down till the fault codes are cleared and the fault fixed, so keep an eye on it as without it working your heater will suck :( and wont blow that hot :cry:

bluekart

Thanks for trying to help, yes it does smoke but not a lot, it ticks very loudly and the smell is not like unburnt diesel, i dont know what is like, its just horrible. I will have to take it to the local garage and see if they can find a fault code. mean time we have unplugged the electric's beneath the car. Dont want to blow up. Thanks again

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members