Gap Insurance

stu666

Stuart
Nov 8, 2006
Scotland
Just wondering if anyone purchased the additional gap insurance the stealers are trying to sell with all new cars?
Personally i didnt bother.

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
I did - for 300 notes, I get a brand new car if mine gets totalled - sounded good to me - particularly as mine's on finance and probably isn't worth the outstanding balance on the loan at the mo.

simon34

smoooooooth
May 2, 2006
northampton
Didnt bother with the sport i bought but did with the fr as there was more on finance cant remember how much it was though it was cheeper than the grand you loose as soon as you drive it of the forcourt.

panholio

Jun 26, 2006
Leeds
Got mine for £180!!! Covers the car for my three year finance deal.

There's alot of bargaining to be had on this. Whatever you do don't get talked into "supaguard". Complete waste of money. Just be some chav applying a pot of shitey sealant.

norton

fortunatley i took it out when i bought my LCR last year as when it was stolen 6 months later there was a 3k difference to what the insurance would pay out and what i had left on finance. elephant were cheap for the policy but then faffed aound for ages and then gave a rubbish pay out

BigBash

fortunatley i took it out when i bought my LCR last year as when it was stolen 6 months later there was a 3k difference to what the insurance would pay out and what i had left on finance. elephant were cheap for the policy but then faffed aound for ages and then gave a rubbish pay out

I thought most insurance company's replace less than 1 year old write offs with a fresh new one (I know Tesco did with mine), that's one of the reasons I've never considered GAP insurance.

Anyway the money they give you should replace the car with equivelant (age/condition/mileage), so actually don't see the point of GAP insurance, unless you fancy writing yours off for a new car [B)]

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
I had it and i still have a year so if anything happens to her i should get my money back. For £200 i thought it was well worth it

Oct 31, 2006
Lichfield, Staffs
Just checked out the link that J500ANT posted. £141.50 for 3 years upto £10k maximum payout.

Sounds very reasonable compared to £300 from the Dealer! Any issues with this GAP insurance?

Last edited:

Eternal Rage

Scooby & Cordy Powered
Mar 22, 2005
Manchester
Both Me and the Mrs got GAP insurance with ours. Those of you who got it cheap may have been offered the lesser cover.

There are two types, 'return to invoice' and 'shortfall protection'. I am unsure as to the in's and out's, but we both got the better of the two. I got a little knocked off the car value but paid £300, Mrs got less knocked off the car but paid £225 for her cover.

Its swings and roundabouts. Different dealers, and even just at different times of month/year the salesmen will be targetted on different margins, so prices will vary but will balance out.

jonathanp

Jan 5, 2005
Coventry
I had its on my old rover 25TD which was a good thing as it was written off due to a blowout 2.5 years into ownership. Insurance paid out £6500 and gap paid out the rest (£3500) which took me back to the orignal purchase price of £10k

Got same cover on the LCR just in case, £275 over 3 years isn't bad TBF

lukey

4 Ringer
Sep 28, 2006
Harrogate
did a quote lastnight on return to invoice with a five grand difference cover for 3 years was £170, well worth considering

davea

Aug 21, 2006
Stickney
I decided to go with the Gap Insurance, after just writing off my car due to weather conditions. It doen't matter how good a driver you are, if something happens out of your control at least you've got this to make up the difference from the insurance.

panholio

Jun 26, 2006
Leeds
Both Me and the Mrs got GAP insurance with ours. Those of you who got it cheap may have been offered the lesser cover.

There are two types, 'return to invoice' and 'shortfall protection'. I am unsure as to the in's and out's, but we both got the better of the two. I got a little knocked off the car value but paid £300, Mrs got less knocked off the car but paid £225 for her cover.

Its swings and roundabouts. Different dealers, and even just at different times of month/year the salesmen will be targetted on different margins, so prices will vary but will balance out.

Mine is the return to invoice one. Just checked.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.