Gavin Smith returns to the BTCC in a GR Asia SEAT Leon

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Former SEAT Cupra championship driver and ex Vauxhall BTCC driver Gavin Smith is to return to the British Touring Car Championship for the final three races of the year in a privately entered SEAT Leon.

The Irishman, who raced for Vauxhall in 2005 and 2006, will have his first outing in the GR Asia-engineered car at Brands Hatch this weekend.

MORE HERE

JasonP06

Sep 11, 2006
Does this mean for the remainder of the season fans will have to stay behind a few hours whilst they wait for Gavin to finish?

I am not at all won over by what I know of Gavin Smith when he was racing for VXR. I don't think he will do well at all. He has a strong car under him but I feel the racing in the BTCC is more in tune with the driving ability of the drivers than in F1.

On another note the car is Emmett O'Briens. I see from his website that the reason why he didn't show for Anderstorp is he couldn't get a sponsorship deal signed in time. He also explains it ought to be signed for Oschersleben...... by which he will have a new Leon.

Does this mean Gavin will have the Leon full time and that it won't have to go to Emmett every time theirs WTCC rounds?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I think so...... I don't know if there's any more clashes though

can't say it'll be easy to get a car from Brands Hatch to Monza in 4 days (and check & rebuild in teh mean time)

JasonP06

Sep 11, 2006
I think so...... I don't know if there's any more clashes though

No.

Brands Hatch - BTCC
August 18-19

Oschersleben - WTCC
August 25-26

Knockhill - BTCC
September 1-2

Brands Hatch - BTCC
September 22-23

Monza - WTCC
October 6-7

Thruxton - BTCC
October 14-15

Macau - WTCC
November 17-18

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Yer as long as it doesn't get involved in the championship race. It won't be funny if he tussles with Plato or Turner and ends up taking one of them off.

But open season on Vauxhalls ;)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise