Gear Display

KathW26

I've owned my Ibiza 1.6 TDI CR sport for just over a week and i've noticed that i'm travelling at around 45 mph the gear display is telling me to change up into 5th gear, however as soon as I do this the car starts shaking to say that it's too high a gear and then it tells me to change back down again.....

I'm also finding that when trying to get into 5th gear it's very stiff and it seems to momentarily lose power even when my foot is to the floor and then it is very hard to then pull it back out of 5th to change back down again.

And a few days when coming home there's a very strong burning smell, I have so far put this down to just the car being new as it's only done 380 miles or so and i've actually been running it in as per the manual.

I was just wondering if anyone else was having these kind of problems, or had them when they first brought their 1.6 tdi and that it's normal, or whether I need to take it back to the dealers to get them to look at it??

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
Hi - I find it to be very high geared, compared to my last car I have to go into 4th a lot more often.

But I guess this improves the fuel economy on motorways, so far I've had the burning smell once and I put it down to newness too - theres only only 250 miles on mine.

Havn't noticed any problems changing into 5th

Last edited:

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
Burning smell is the DPF nothing to worry about. I didn't realise the Mk5 Ibiza had a gear change display? Didn't notice it on the one I test drove recently.

KathW26

Burning smell is the DPF nothing to worry about. I didn't realise the Mk5 Ibiza had a gear change display? Didn't notice it on the one I test drove recently.

Please forgive my ignorance but how long wil it take for the burning smell to stop? Mine has it on the right hand side of the trip computer display.

Hank

Sep 20, 2009
I have also had the burning smell but it smelt like clutch burn to me[:@]

Chaza123

I also get the burning smell and someone did ask why it smelt like a clutch burn! I knew it couldn't be the clutch.

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
it was head and shoulders above the 1.6tdi in terms of economy, my usual run to work i can get about 30/32mpg if i'm good. (thismorning from cold it was 26mpg)
The ecomotive did it in 43mpg without me even trying (that's a lie, i was trying to make it as low as possible without being unreasonable to make myself feel better about my car's poor economy)
On the way to the dealership my 1.6 managed to get 46mpg (driven carefully), the ecomotive did it in 53mpg (driven hard)

What you do trade in for this excellent economy is pleasentness.
The old 1.4tdi is shockingly noisy even once it's been warmed up fully, the clutch is heavier and is is one of those ones which have two different feels depending how far down you've pressed it (I had an achy knee after my first drive in it)
The plastic/rubber steering wheel isn't anywhere near as nice as the leather one in my sport. the gear changes didn't feel as nice (much harder to get a nice smooth change, though thats probably down to not being used to the engine & 'box) and the brakes obviously aren't as good however, it is more comfy over the bumps with its softer suspension and i think the seats are a bit wider (good for me at least!)

Molehill_Mike

Rollin' on 20s
Jan 3, 2005
Bedfordshire
Our Eco is averageing about 54mpg at the mo, improving though! :)

Comfy, (very diesel noisy) but tax free and 500+ miles from a tank...nice!

Interior is very plush... way above the Corsa equivalent. Love it :)

Mike

ChrWh

Feb 24, 2008
Which models have the gear display? i have a 1.6 petrol sport and have not noticed it.

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
if it is not on the sport it must be on the fr upwards (dsg box) all auto show what gear you are in, could we confirm if the car we are talking about is a auto or manual

Last edited:

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
The OP says that her Ibiza 1.6 TDI CR it has a gear change indicator. I drove a brand new one a few days ago but didn't notice this feature?

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
My 1.6 CR TDI has it - but the 1.6 petrol I test drove didn't have it.

To be honest it took me a while to work out what it was - i coulnt understand why there was a 5 beside the clock - it was only when the arrows appears telling me to change up or down that I twigged what it was.

It's a nice idea, but I tend to disagree with its suggestions a lot.

KathW26

if it is not on the sport it must be on the fr upwards (dsg box) all auto show what gear you are in, could we confirm if the car we are talking about is a auto or manual

It's a manual!!! Ibiza 1.6 TDI CR Sport, the one I test drove didn't have it either but my one does.

Markmeus i'm tending to agree with you and i'm glad I'm not the only one. It keeps telling me to be in 5th and then when I put it into 5th it tells me it's too high a gear and to change back down again....

Has anyone else had any problems with 5th gear or is it just me???

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
In my experience of owning brand new cars or brand new company cars, the burning smell is from the silver paint on the brand new exhaust.

If you get a new exhaust fitted to an old car you get the same smell

hi..

my 1.6tdi gives me the burning smell when i first got it, but now it only give it when i give it a bit hammer now.. and the gear box, my 5th gear was like that, i picked it up in the snow so couldnt get it in to 5th gear on the way home, when it went i couldnt get it in for ages.. but found it went in easier at higher speeds.. but i just thought it was because it was new. Now it is fine and goes in easy.. and i can put it in 5th and 45 mph and it will be fine.. just very slow to accelerate if i want it!!!

dan

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.