Gear Knob Removal

Havoc

Mar 3, 2008
Portsmouth
Hello again does anyone have a clue or no how to remove the gear knobs from the mk4 ibiza? is it worth it and is it easy... I had a look and i just didnt have a clue. its just i got one hanging around and have been offered one out of the cupraaaa. Cheers.

Phil_beeza

May 15, 2007
there are some clips on the flappy rubber+silver surround at the base, which when u lift up, lets u get access to a metal clip on the stick shaft.

i found you have to (permanently) bend/distort this metal clip off.

then you can pop the round rubber knob bit off

CHR15B

May 5, 2005
Scotland
It's easy.

Feel through the flappy rubber at the bottom towards the dash for two clips, pull them up and slide the gaitor and plastic assembly forward and lift up. Pull it all the way up like you would do a t-shirt to a kid and you'll see how the knob is secured to the lever with a clip. Pull the clip off with pliers (Cannot then be reused) and pull free ... the new one goes on and back together the same way, though can be fixed back on with a jubilee clip.

Hope that helps - I'm fitting a new one next week and I'll make a little video when I do it, same on most new VAG cars.

Last edited:

Phil_beeza

May 15, 2007
"leather gaitor"?

can we please use technical terms...

like "flappy rubber"

thank you. :)

Havoc

Mar 3, 2008
Portsmouth
It's easy.

Feel through the flappy rubber at the bottom towards the dash for two clips, pull them up and slide the gaitor and plastic assembly forward and lift up. Pull it all the way up like you would do a t-shirt to a kid and you'll see how the knob is secured to the lever with a clip. Pull the clip off with pliers (Cannot then be reused) and pull free ... the new one goes on and back together the same way, though can be fixed back on with a jubilee clip.

Hope that helps - I'm fitting a new one next week and I'll make a little video when I do it, same on most new VAG cars.

Yea cheers err let me no when u got the vid up and running so i can watch yea cheers..

veloc123

Apr 2, 2008

CHR15B

May 5, 2005
Scotland
Personally i dont get what all the fuss is about! why would you want to take your knob off anyway?

dont tamper with it ! :lol:

To change it?

I fitted my new Seat Sport one when making that video... picked up a bargain - got it brand new for £8. :)

Havoc

Mar 3, 2008
Portsmouth
lol i got offerd one but didnt no wether it was guna be worth the effort if its hard to do ;) :lol:

Last edited:

mixupz

Just call me Rash-MIX
Oct 5, 2007
Dirty South East London
sorry but ive got to take it further its class A material :)

You mean you were offered someone elses knob....but you didnt want to take it because you were unsure whether it be TOO hard to pull? ahhhhahahaaha

enough of the knob jokes now...

yeah its quite easy to do in short :lol:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.