Gear Knob Removal

Havoc

Mar 3, 2008
Portsmouth
sorry but ive got to take it further its class A material :)

You mean you were offered someone elses knob....but you didnt want to take it because you were unsure whether it be TOO hard to pull? ahhhhahahaaha

enough of the knob jokes now...

yeah its quite easy to do in short :lol:

LOL whos a funnyone ... rofl

But yea thats preety much it mate im that play it safe kinda person you no dont go jumping onto knobs that i might regret or get hurt bye..

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
the video shows you uncliping the gaitor but doesnt show how you uncliped the gearknob?kinda doesnt match the video title :lol:

stezo2k

Anjuna Monkey
Mar 15, 2008
Dudley
the video shows you uncliping the gaitor but doesnt show how you uncliped the gearknob?kinda doesnt match the video title :lol:

yeah i thought that, i went to remove mine using the vid and was pulling the gearknob like a tool. word of advice anybody fitting one make sure you remove the golden metal piece holding the knob to the gearstick
________
COACH HANDBAGS

Last edited:
Hey folks, got a new Seat gearknob today (OE Cupra version I already have a Cupra I just wanted the new style with the flag on!), it came already attached to the gaitor which is a bonus, even more of a bonus as I have the chrome surrounds to fit, so that makes it a lot easier as I can do that at the same time...

However,

I understand the removal side, however, when re-fitting the new gearknob and gaitor I take it I will have to unclip the new gear knob? Or is it just a case of, as it has a new clip on it already, just push it onto the gear as hard as possible?

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
you will need to unclip then clip on once fitted...there are grooves on the shaft to which the clip tightens the knob onto

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
You sure? I'm sure I just pushed it down onto the stick and it clipped into place. The only time I touched a clip was to remove the old one. 10 months later it's still securely in place. :)

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
You sure? I'm sure I just pushed it down onto the stick and it clipped into place. The only time I touched a clip was to remove the old one. 10 months later it's still securely in place. :)

basically the clip comes tight to hold the gaitor to the knob and tighten the end of the knob onto the shaft...depends how hard you wanna push it, but i wouldn't risk damaging anything over the sake of one clip

I just had a quick look, pulled the current gearknob gaitor up to check, could see the same clip as on the new one.

I'll get rid of the old clip, but I like those clips, there must be a way of just putting the new gearknob on already clipped... As those OE clips are far better than jubilee's. Surely they wouldn't sell the parts already clipped together if you had to undo them again?

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
I just had a quick look, pulled the current gearknob gaitor up to check, could see the same clip as on the new one.

you can use the old clip, they come with a new one because they are easily bent and then hard to clip back on. (trust me i know)

Surely they wouldn't sell the parts already clipped together if you had to undo them again?

if your theory is correct then you should be able to pull off the existing one with ease...

Aimez

Same mangled to! If you replace it with an aftermarket one the gaitor/boot is not quite long enough for future reference if anyone needs to know. I am going to buy a new gaitor as the standard one looks so cheap it is actually stapled on how cheap can you get! I have not bothered for well over a year but bothers me and want to tidy the car up a bit.

Kie183

May 4, 2009
Southampton
sorry to drag up an old thread.

but im sat in my car trying to get this damn gold clip thingy and it wont budge.

any tips?

cheers

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.