Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

Gear linkage adjustment

Discussion in 'Ibiza Mk2 (1993-1999)' started by hipsterine, Jul 29, 2018.

1. hipsterine

hipsterine Active Member

I want to check the adjustment on the 2 gear link cables from gearbox to gearstick. On later model info I've found there is instruction to lock the gear lever and the change mechanism at gearbox in the "home" position.
    This involves aligning 2 holes at the base of gearstick (my 1998 Mark 11 Ibiza appears to have only one) and at same time locking a pin at the gearbox end of the cables (again this pin does not seem to exist on my model).

If I can be sure of this home position I think I know what I'm doing from then on.
    The actual problem is not being able to engage reverse gear using the gearstick but it is possible by physically moving the mechanism at gearbox end.
    Any ideas please ?

2. CatB1

CatB1 Full Member

Got a Mk2 16v Cupra, earlier this year it wouldn't select 1st gear. Also, selecting at gearbox end it would go into gear. I dropped the selector box (under the gearstick) & exhaust & found a nylon spacer had broken that controlled the sideways movement of the gearstick..Replaced it & it's been OK since.

3. hipsterine

hipsterine Active Member

thanks for the info......that would be an explanation. I'll give it a go