Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest. If you're not subscribing to us on YouTube yet, you're missing out on car news and reviews. Subscribe to our channel to get notified when we post new videos.

Gearbox chatter

Discussion in 'Ibiza Mk4 (2002-2008)' started by rich3001, May 14, 2010.

1. rich3001

rich3001 Active Member

Ive just had a new clutch fitted and now ive noticed a rattling noise when in neutral with my foot off the clutch, so the garage had the car back and changed the clutch plate and the release bearing. I still have the same noise. Ive been told it could be gearbox chatter? Any ideas and is it something that i need to worry about?

2. KernowFR

KernowFR Mr Diesel Box

If you dip the clutch in neutral does it go away ? if so then its in the box.

Did you notice it before the clutch was done? is the gearbox oil level ok as they would have pulled the drive shafts out on the box removal

3. rich3001

rich3001 Active Member

Cheers for the reply. The clutch was in a bad state when it was replaced so i couldnt tell if there was any noises as it was constantly slipping in every gear. Its been back to the garage 3 times to see if there was any other issues and they replaced and refitted everything to do with the clutch, so its definatly the gearbox. Looks like i will have to start saving for a replacement.

EDIT. the noise is getting slightly louder too

#3 rich3001, May 18, 2010
    Last edited: May 18, 2010