Gearbox Conversion help 020 ---> 02A

Chrisdaman

1 gearbox dead, any more?
Mar 21, 2007
Kingston
www.flickr.com
i've managed to get an 02A gearbox for a good price, and want to fit it to the ibiza, as the current rod change 020 box is a nightmare, it hates selecting first and has never lined up properly, cable changes are much easier :)

i've got the gearbox, what else do i need? a list would be nice, and pics possibly :D

is it a tricky one to do?

Cheers
Chris

captin_urbis

Not a Member
Dec 2, 2008
Lancashire
never done one myself, but my car has a 1.4 box (not sure on code) with the 1.6 engine (AEE engine) the only problem i have is that because the gearbox spins faster, due to the ratio, whenever i select reverse it will grind a little bit then slide in, unless i make it idle between 500 or 800rpm. tell u what though it makes a hell of a difference with acceleration. to put it this way i can beat a 147bhp vetra off the line with the engine running about 85bhp(including the gear ratio)

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
only done this on my 1.8 golf gti now a g60

from O2A to O2O

apart from the gearbox i needed:

the arm from the gearbox to rear mount as it has a cut out to hold the cable
the starter motor is different
obviously clutch
on my golf i had to fit a Rado gearshift with cables but its seems obvious youd fit the cables from a 16v ibiza then you know it bolts into the tunnel.
did not have to change driveshafts or inner CV's
Speedo drive was different had to fit 1.3 Golf one(mk2) but again pretty obvious youd take a 16v ibiza drive cable.
Clutch cable was different

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
dont think you need to change the flywheel, not sure on that one.

also make sure you got the clutch release mechanisum (the bit the cable hooks into)

i got the cable, mounting arm to rear mount, and release mechanisum thing for around £140 from strictly dubs and it was advertised as "ibiza 16v O2A"

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
i did yeh, but theres nothing stopping you going to a scrappy and get the bits alot cheaper, or going to VW/SEAT and buying them.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
check the change mech on the top of the box 'cos if that's sloppy it won't be much better to be honest

changed mins for that reason alone (got on my nerves)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.