Gearbox noise/whine

speedfreak123

Jun 3, 2011
Penarth South Wales
As above got a noise from my gearbox and it's whining esp in 4th gear. It's not horrendous but starting to annoy me as I can hear it over the radio now lol. It's a mk4 Ibiza cupra bbu 20vt. Anyone had a similar fault with theirs or any suggestions to a cheap fix? I changed the oil in my box about 8 months ago and used oem oil part no G 060 726 A2. Is this the correct oil? Some people say there's a newer high performance thinner brand they used for recalls or something. Does anybody know the gearbox code used for this engine also as I can't find it on my vehicle data sticker. Cheers in advance for any help, getting a bit stressed about it.

speedfreak123

Jun 3, 2011
Penarth South Wales
It's a strange one to be honest mate, it's a drone about 40mph like a wheel bearing sound but there's a whine also when cruising esp in 4th gear but put your foot on the accelerator and the whine goes :/ it's really stressing me out lol I have bought a n/s/f bearing for it but I'm a bit reluctant to fit it at the mo because it cost me £70 and I have had the car up on a ramp and listened to the bearings while it's being driven and there's no obvious noise. I know the bearing isn't exactly under load up in the air but this leads me to think the drone could be coming from the gearbox. esp with the whine also. The drone is there when coasting at 40mph out of gear or foot on the clutch etc so this would eliminate transmission noise? Or would the diff still be spinning?

Dec 3, 2009
doesn't sound like gearbox then

on my lupo it mainly happened when in gear but approaching a roundabout and just deccelerating with the engine resistance

I'd definitely fit the bearing because if it's the gearbox it will be virtually £1000
volkswagen basically said to find out what's wrong we'll have to take it apart, and then if the problem escalates we've got you "by the balls" was his words, as you either have no car or have to pay for it to get fixed

other option is to fit a secondhand gearbox but they're usually removed from cars so you can't check them before you buy so it's a lot of trust

it's a tough call, I hate gearboxes for this reason >.<

edit
*there was also a strong jolt when coming off the accelerator

and I'd like to think these gearboxes are strong, unless they've been badly abused or high mileage?
was your gearbox really sloppy before? like you couldn't tell what gear you are in, and not going into gear and needing a bit of forcing ?

Last edited:

speedfreak123

Jun 3, 2011
Penarth South Wales
The gears are smooth no clunking when changing, the cars done 55000 miles 06 model so it's not mega old. 1st gear is a bit noisy the rest just high pitch whine. It's such a pain in the bum lol I'm gonna do the gear oil Saturday morning and maybe change the bearing when I fit my lowering springs so I'll keep u posted on the outcome

VWscooby

Apr 20, 2008
Durham
The diff is always spinning whenever the drive wheels are moving so it may be that even if you are coasting. Hopefully its the cheap stuff though so good luck on the bearing change

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
Swap your wheels around and see if the noise moves with the wheel, might be your tyres.
Otherwise just change the bearing for piece of mind. I changed a noisy bearing even though it moved freely and felt smooth and it solved my problem

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
I'm getting this too. Notice it more in average speed check areas ie 40 or 50 mph areas where the speed is constant and I'm not on the accelerator.

Sent from my iPhone when I should be working....

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
Exactly the same as mine. Only when travelling at a constant speed. Also when accelerating in 1st

speedfreak123

Jun 3, 2011
Penarth South Wales
The droning noise is my tires. Im still getting a High pitch whine when maintaining a constant speed more in 4th gear doing about 30-40 mph if I accelerate it goes. Also 1st gear is a bit noisy but I just try to ignore them. It's hard to when you know it's there tho

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
What tyres do you have? Im using proxies, they're a bit noisy.

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2

Bosher

I'm having the same prob with my 54BBU with 40k on it. seems noisiest on very light throttle and also on the overrun, then quietens down under acceleration...
It's def not tyre drone or wheel bearing, though there does seem to be a lot of backlash in the diff.
I'm gonna have a word with Opie Oils and get some fresh oil for the box.

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
Is it easy to change the gearbox oil? For the price of oil its worth a try before paying a garage to diagnose.

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2

Bosher

i'll do mine @ mates garage on his lift. but even on the drive it should be a pretty quick job.
Undo drain plug, let it drain, plug back in and fill it up to the filler/level plug.
when I had my Leon i had probs with the gears on that. we found someone had put normal mineral gear oil in it. Changed it for right grade/type of oil and it was fine.

speedfreak123

Jun 3, 2011
Penarth South Wales
I have hankooks on the front pirelli p zeros on the back but my back tires are feathered/stepped causing the droaning noise. High pitch noise is deffo the box it's not horrific but noticeable. I changed the box oil with genuine seat stuff and it's still the same so I'd go down a different route, I think the redline stuff is pretty good

For the cost of it I would do it at least every 50k all depends how the car I's used. If it's a normal runaround it should be ok for 100k but if it's used properly performance wise on a cupra/r then I would do it a lot sooner. I'd personally do it every 25-50k but as with all engine oils and fluids no harm comes from changing it any sooner.