gearbox oil change

meltonlad

Mar 21, 2009
huntingdon
hi peeps how do i check the oil level in the gearbox ?? also how would i change the oil ? what parts would i need and oil ?? its on a 1.8 'X' plate.

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
Its essential this is done on a level surface ie a 4 post ramp is best. Warm the car about 10-20 mins, Open the bonnet, raise the car, remove the plastic floor, loosen the fill plug first to make sure you can remove it, then remove the gearbox sump bolt, leave the fluid to drain, refill till oil comes out the side fill hole, this is why its essential to be flat and then refit the parts in reverse order.. The floor uses torx head bolts i think T25. The trasnmission uses one of two bolts from memory mine 6speed 2004 used the newer security spline bit which is specific to the job and i had to get mine through snapon. Otherwise i think it is a hex key or square key which are readily available.
Adam

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
When filling its easier to feed a piece of garden hose through the engine bay into the gearbox and fill up under the bonnet takes 2.5 litres of oil.

The filler and drain from memory is a T30 tamperproof torx I baught one from halfords and drilled the middle out at work in the pillar drill.