Gearbox oil never changed is this right

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
Just booked my car in for its 40000 mile service, £289 all in, not bad i thought

questioned the gearbox oil situation and they said its never changed just topped up, is this correct??

maxcars1

Nov 9, 2004
Ant FR said:
Just booked my car in for its 40000 mile service, £289 all in, not bad i thought

questioned the gearbox oil situation and they said its never changed just topped up, is this correct??

According to the Inspection Service form 03/2002 they only check - had my 40K back in Mar, and that's all they did.

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
i had my box drained n refilled with vw stuff a month ago ANT , changes feel a lot smoother n engage easier fella , fluid only came to 18quid or something , u need 4 litre bottles anyhow

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I've been meaning to get mine changed for ages now, but never got round to it.

I was wondering if upgrading/changing the oil type might help, maybe a synthetic oil ?

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
bill recommended normal vag stuff , believe his exact words were "pukka stuff" ---very naked chef

plus the oil 4 the 6speed box is a different part num.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
All manual VAG boxes are filled with synthetic oil, no service interval bar check/top up if required.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
well i may get mine done at 60k seems silly as surely the oil will break down over time!

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Ant FR said:
well i may get mine done at 60k seems silly as surely the oil will break down over time!
My thoughts exactly. It certainly can't do any harm.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
my mate manages a motor fsctors, and he says when the oil reps come around even they say oils do not las the manufacturers times.

For instance, peugeot say 20k for an oil service on the 206 Gti or 2yrs. No way will it last that long, and thats on standard oil.

Plus considering how hard i push my car i think the gearbox deserves to be treated, so once i move away from dealer servicing after warranty i will get someone to do it for me, ( or may do it myself if its not too cold)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.