Gearbox problem after new clutch

psy

Hi Guys,
New member and first post from somebody with little mechanical knowledge so please be gentle!
I have an Alhambra 1.8 20V 1999 petrol on 105k miles.
I've just had a new clutch fitted. The wife collected car yesterday and mentioned to me today that gearbox felt 'strange'. She could not select first gear, the gear stick allows alot of play in each selected gear position, and the gear positions seem to have 'moved' further forward with neutral position almost diagonal when moved side to side.
Again apologies if this is the effect of a new clutch but I've never had one fittted before.
The wife also complained of a smell in car, which I believe is from the hydraulic clutch.
I contacted the mechanic who fitted it (and has agreed to see it on Monday), and said the gearbox had nothing to do with the new clutch he'd fitted. He explained the smell away by saying it probably came from slipping the clutch, which is proabably true as we live in a hilly area and doing hill starts in 2nd means that slipping the clutch is unavoidable.

Can anyone give me a diagnosis for my problems?
Are the clutch and gearbox related?
Has this mechanic caused my problems by fitting the clutch incorrectly or do I have a separate problem with the gear box?

Ta in advance

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
sounds like the selector is possibly either loose or not aligned properly

and slipping a clutch or dumping it isnt uncommon on a new clutch as people need to get used to it again

let him have a look but inform him of the gearchange issue

Could be that in the process of removeing the gear box to replace the clutch wheh he's removed the selector cables he's altered their settings? or after refitting one has popped off the ball on the selector mech? IIRC on the later gearboxes you can reset/adjust the selector mech :confused: not sure on the early boxes :confused: will take a look at the tech details I have and get back to you :think:

Yep the early gear box seletor cables are adjustable :) but you need the correct tool to hold the gear stick stable in the neutral position while you adjust/reconnect the cables to the gear stick, where as on the later 6 speed boxes you stick a couple of 5mm drill bits into a couple of holes, adjust the cables remove the drill bits and off you go :)
it could be case of poorly adjustment of the selector cables :confused: get him to check them out?

psy

Thanks very much for the pointers Fl@pper and Fredt. I'll mention them to the mechanic on Monday. Pleased to hear it doesn't sound too drastic!

psy

Just an update.
Wife took car to garage and after some persuasion that they may have done something to the gearbox whilst changing the clutch, the mechanics finally inspected car.
They found two bolts were loose which they tightened - access via the engine area using some long extended spanner/screwdriver thing (that's the technical description from my wife anyway!).

Improved it immediately, 1st can now be selected and very little play with gear stick. They said if it became loose again they would "bang the bolts harder". Let's hope it doesn't become loose again!
Thanks again for the advice.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise