Gearbox Removal

robbob

Leon Cupra
Jul 24, 2008
Portsmouth
As title suggests I have to take the gearbox off, to get it recondition Is there anything I should be aware of before doing this?

I have taken the 'box off my last car to change the clutch. Mk3 golf.

Does anyone know of a removal guide on here?

Also while the box is off I might as well fit a new clutch, what clutch should I put on?

lynchy

Aug 23, 2009
Newcastle
is the car standard? are you looking for an upgrade clutch? just it will be worth it if your intending on upping power.

not a bad job to do though, time consuming but easily done on axle stands

robbob

Leon Cupra
Jul 24, 2008
Portsmouth
Car is standard at the moment. If I'm going to up the power its only going to be a stage 1 map. So probably just going to stick with a standard clutch. Do I need a hoist or support for the engine? Used one when I did my last car.

lynchy

Aug 23, 2009
Newcastle
i used 2 hydraulic jacks, lower down by gearbox then put jack on motor and take the weight up, then box out, using second jack to take the weight of the box ( save your back ) lol

Disco_Mikey

Dec 28, 2009
Dundee, Scotland
just took mine out the other day there for a rebuild. Nothing particularly hard though i had to unbolt the subframe and move iv back a bit, and also unbolt the passenger side anti roll bar link and bottom ball joint to get the driveshaft out the way to get the box out...

robbob

Leon Cupra
Jul 24, 2008
Portsmouth
Cool thanks guys think its a job for next weekend, when im less hungover and i have some more people around to help.

Why have you guys had to have your boxes recondition then??

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
I did my old mk4 golf a few years back. isnt a hard job but tedious so just check everything is supported, all the bolts get labelled and everything is checked before you remove it. When i refitted mine a hoist made things a lot easier as its such a heavy unit to be handling lying on your back and took us an age to line up.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.