Gearbox trouble

Maria

my mid-life crisis car
Jun 22, 2016
South-West
For various complicated reasons I've left this issue longer than I should, mostly because of pets bankrupting me just when I've had to take a massive pay cut, but we are where we are.

2002 Leon TDi SE - first reverse became tricky, then first, then third - second isn't too bad but yesterday I actually had to pull over and play about as she refused point blank to go into third. Gets worse as she gets warm so at the end of a journey I have to park nose first.

At the same time we have a rumbly whine increasing with speed not gears and not stopping with clutch dipped, I thought wheel bearings but possibly not.

Today I have topped up the gearbox oil, it's definitely smoother but not the super-lovely gear changes we had when she had a mere 100k on the clock. Only road tested for around 5 miles / 10 minutes though.

Questions - first, can it take a little time for it all to ease up again? Second, any other thoughts on problem? I don't think clutch fluid but is it same as brake fluid as I can't find another pot for it? No apparent leaks anywhere, and clutch bite is not high. Been reading about the shim mod, could that help?

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
These have mechanical gear linkages rather than springs. You can try lubricating them

Shim replacement is for a different gearbox.

Maria

my mid-life crisis car
Jun 22, 2016
South-West
Ah good thank you I didn't fancy getting that involved. So the fluid level is fine. Got a long drive today so will see if the box is really much better with the fluid. Will do linkages also thanks. Or at least buys me a bit of time until I can afford the garage.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Tbh it sounds like the box itself, however here is the procedure for calibrating the shifter mech. Worth a try, can't do any harm.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Not what I hoped to hear but thank you Matty I will give that a go at the weekend.

Yeah i mean I could well be wrong mate, it could be anything really, but the symptoms combined with the noise would make me suspect the output (main) shaft of the gearbox.

Reactions: Maria

Maria

my mid-life crisis car
Jun 22, 2016
South-West
Wow it's all so dry and rusty and stiff in there! I'm struggling to get the shift lever down half way to lock at the gearbox end. Using WD40 to lube anywhere I don't see any trace of dried grease, including the cable grips as there's even rust on the "threaded" cables.
*edit* now done after letting WD40 soak in a bit

But what grease should I use at the stick end? Ordinary general purpose? I think that's all I have to hand.

*edit* feels good but unable to road test due to puncture and realising after nearly 4 years that the spare with its brand new tyre can't go on as studs are too long!

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.