1. Hi Guest. We've recently updated our forum rules. Please take some time to review them. You can read the new rules here
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

Gearbox was stuck on D5 when it was supposed to be on D7 thoughts?

Discussion in 'Leon Mk3' started by Mohamed emarah, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Mohamed emarah

Mohamed emarah Active Member

I was on the highway and I was going 130 km/h normally I would be on D7 from 90 km/h upwards but for some weird reason the car wasn't changing gears and the rpm kept going up until it eventually changed after a good 30 seconds or a minute. I wasn't on sports mode too any thoughts?

2. ray

ray Active Member

Is it a diesel? Or a new gpf petrol engine? I know in my old diesel when the DPF was regenerating the car would ask for me to be in a lower gear to help raise the temperatures to clear it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mohamed emarah likes this.
  3. davidstarkey11

davidstarkey11 Active Member

Was the engine under load/ were you going uphill?

4. bgb

bgb Active Member

As above, may have been doing a 'burn cycle' or you may have caught it out. My new Cupra has hanged onto a gear for too long once early morning but a lift off of the pedal sorted it out. Its a computer at the end of the day, they still make mistakes and have thinking moments!

Do you have shift levers? maybe you knocked one by accident? Again done that before when enthusiastically driving and wondered why the gear wasn't changing.

Unless its constantly doing it, i wouldn't presume there is an issue, maybe next time shift it up manually and see if it carries on happy in that gear?

5. Mohamed emarah

Mohamed emarah Active Member

Thanks for all the help its a petrol and I wasn't going uphill maybe all I needed was lift off the pedal. Thanks again !

davidstarkey11 likes this.
  6. martin j.

martin j. Active Member

Perhaps the throttle position had the engine under load(however slight) and so was holding a lower gear ready for acceleration demand?