Gerrard Actuator 1.9TDi

Zardoz

Sep 6, 2016
North West
Im trying to diagnose / fix my limp mode by a process of elimination (cheapest stuff first :D)

I replaced all my vacuum lines yesterday and got as far as having a look at how to get to the exhaust side of turbo to try and clean it with Mr Muscle. When I was snooping about I tried moving the actuator arm by hand and it just wouldn't budge at all! It was was awkward to reach but from the vids I'd seen I imagined it should move without too much elbow grease.

Does that sound like the actuator has gone completely or could the (most likely) sticky vanes be holding it in place?

Zardoz

Sep 6, 2016
North West
One other important thing is the ONLY vacuum line I haven't replaced yet is the actuator line...

Need to get my stands back before I can get underneath though.

Last edited:

sockpuppet

Apr 30, 2007
From memory I don't think I could get my hand to the actuator and I ended up using VAG-COM/VCDS to flex the turbo vanes and I could see the actuator moving.

Instructions from the forum:
A good way to be absolutely sure of cycling the vanes through their full travel is to use VAG-COM, put it in group 11 and click "basic settings". This puts it into an automatic self-test mode where the engine fast-idles at about 1400 rpm and cycles the vanes through their full travel. (The fast idle speed is presumably to avoid a compressor stall when the vanes open fully.)

Zardoz

Sep 6, 2016
North West
Forgot to follow up on this!

I did the Mr Muscle trick down from the EGR to the cast iron side of the turbo and also freed up the sticking actuator arm with lots of WD40.

Worked a treat and happy to say I've not had limp mode since.

Reactions: Connorg115
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.