Give your V5 a Christmas present

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Just bought mine some new Eagle F1 GS-D3's - £72 a corner from mytyres.co.uk fitted by a local fitter for £5 a corner. Totally revolutionised the handling. I know tollys aren't exactly known for their cornering abilities but I now feel the handling does justice to the power. No more understeer and being caught up on the bends by inferior motors, feels like it's on rails and seriously limits the risk of wheelspin away from the lights. It's true that you feel just as good by buying the one you love a present as you do receiving! (just keep the news of the pre-Christmas expenditure between you and me, eh? hope I'm first to open our joint visa bill!) :whistle:

Last edited:

RCMike

Couldn't agree more,
I've just had new F1's fitted to the front of mine. Totally different level of grip now.

Mike.

brazilianv5

And for a don't buy, avoid Pirelli P6000s - grip well, but are noisy b*****ds and are impossible to keep in balance - can't wait to get shot of them

Dinosaur

May 31, 2005
I cant find those tyres,

are they these?

Goodyear
Summer tyres EAGLE NCT 5
205/55 R16 91H

Dinosaur

May 31, 2005
Found it !
Goodyear
Summer tyres EAGLE F1 GS-D3
205/55 R16 91W BSW With mytyres.co.uk only £ 67.40

The proposed tyres could achieve higher speeds than those you are searching for. You can use these tyres without any hesitation

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Dinosaur said:
Found it !
Goodyear

Nice price. Mytyres were very efficient - go for it, you won't be disappointed!

Dinosaur

May 31, 2005
I will have pirelli's at the front and the F1's at the rear, do you think that is a good setup?

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
I did indeed get 4 F1's. I can't really comment on the set up you are considering (there may be others who can). All I know is that the Toledo (especially in V5 guise) carries a fair bit of weight in the front and doesn't turn in as well as some motors. Also it's a fair bit of power going through the front wheels and my F1's definately helped a lot. My dad had F1's on his Nissan 200SX and said they were unbearably noisy but I find them to be very quiet on mine - the cabin is remarkably quiet at speed. Also bear in mind that the F1's are great at handling in the wet - all the more reason to have them on the front!

Sam20v

Nov 8, 2003
Dubai UAE
Visit site
Dinosaur said:
Found it !
Goodyear

The proposed tyres could achieve higher speeds than those you are searching for. You can use these tyres without any hesitation

dont mean to be dumb, but if they are classed as summer tyres do you have to really take it easy in the winter? :confused:

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Sam20v said:
dont mean to be dumb, but if they are classed as summer tyres do you have to really take it easy in the winter? :confused:

Only a very small percentage of British drivers choose winter tyres. It is true that perhaps more should - I would if I lived in Scotland, but then I would also buy a 4wd.
Yes, winter tyres do offer more grip in ice and snow and reduce braking distances but then you won't get the performance (or economy) you are after in warmer months. They reckon that in an ideal world you would change to winter tyres when the average temp drops below 7 degrees. However, not many people have a place to store a spare set of tyres. In general you should always take driving more easy in winter. It's up to you to assess whether you use summer tyres and be aware of the limitations. It depends on where you live and what the winters are like. I didn't have to drive in snow once this year so I feel the F1's are fine for me all year round. I'm confident of how they perform in the wet but if the frost symbol comes up on the dash then it's time to take a bit more care.

Dinosaur

May 31, 2005
ahhh.....

i have received two of them ! they look amazing.... what pressure should they be? the book says 29psi but it looks really under inflated...?

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Are you taking a reading when they are warm or cold? I've put 32psi in mine (reduced from the 40psi the tyre fitter kindly put in one of the fronts). 32 to 34psi Seems about right but I'm in a V5 which is fairly heavy - can't remember what you drive? - depends a bit on weight of the car and if you're going to be driving at speed.

Dinosaur

May 31, 2005
32psi seems to be spot on, drove in the rain today and it stuck to the road really well....

i recommend it too !!!

cyberman

I've just had 4 Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres fitted and I have to agree with the others, they are superb tyres.
The handling and grip seems to be excellent and having had to drive on the M3 on Wednesday during a torrential downpour these felt so much better than the old tyres.

Also the noise on bad road surfaces is much less than my old (and admittedly worn) Bridgestones.

I used Merityres in Sunbury and their prices were not too bad, about £5-£7 cheaper per tyre than Kwik-Fit.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.