Going to buy a fast Leon - Few Questions please help?

true-blue

Hi, first post and I'm looking for a fast leon. I know the Cupra is top dog but I have a few considerations which are;

car needs to be 'reasonably' economical when driving sensibly - I travel for work, but only about 12 -15k miles per year - would want to be able to achieve early 30's, most of my work driving is on motorways and I tend to sit at a true 70-80 (per sat nav)

I'm open to Either a Cupra or an FR (petrol or diesel).

So, what's achieveable mpg wise with the FR TFSI, FR 170TDI and the Cupra ? (without driving everywhere at 56 mph)

Does DSG impact heavily on MPG figures ? (doesn't seem to from the official figures but they usually need to be taken with a pinch of salt)

I have all my cars mapped, so I assume a mapped TFSI will be pretty much as quick as a standard Cupra and that a mapped TDI will stand up well in real world conditions to a TFSI?

My own car goes a week on Saturday (4th April), so I need help pretty quick.
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
Cupra will probably give you under 30 mpg at those speeds. FR is only margainally more economical.

Personally on your mileage I would go for the TDi FR.

I did 14K miles in 15 months in my Cupra and it wasn't cheap on fuel, overall average probably 25 mpg and remember 98RON petrol or above is recommended.

I sold mine for a TT TDi as it gives a great mix of economy and performance.

If you are into mapping cars though, the Cupra maps to over 300 bhp and apparently is 265 stock on a rolling road.

What car do you drive now?

true-blue

I'm in a sensible A4 avant S line 140 tdi (mapped to about 185 with plenty of torque).

It's fairly nippy but a big big and boring and the handling is a bit wooden tbh, although it's very nicely built. The interior in nicer than the Leon, but I'm not buying for those reasons - Want pace and fun!

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
I'm in a sensible A4 avant S line 140 tdi (mapped to about 185 with plenty of torque).

It's fairly nippy but a big big and boring and the handling is a bit wooden tbh, although it's very nicely built. The interior in nicer than the Leon, but I'm not buying for those reasons - Want pace and fun!

The FR petrol or Cupra would be a shock fuel wise. I have the 170 CR engine in my TT and the mpg is generally about 20 mpg better than the Cupra was.

Have a nice of both and see what you think.

If you go for a petrol the Cupra is miles ahead of the FR. Not that the FR is a bad car mind.

Lee Edgecombe

Photoshop ;)
Mar 16, 2009
South Wales
i went had a long trip the other day and i was doing 95 all the way to where i was going on the motor way like and my mpg was 40 in my FR. was really pleased with the result escpecially cause i was doing that speed :D

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
FR TDI will give you around 40- 42mpg with your driving style, a remapped one will give you 36-38mpg

Feb 12, 2006
North Lincolnshire.
Go for the fr tdi m8.Quick cars with built in economy.I drive with a lead foot and always get at least 40 mpg up to 50 if you drive very carefully and how quckly you get there.

MUFFIN

ready 2 return ;o)
Dec 3, 2006
North of Penzance
Cupra all the way,

I do similar mileage to you and it costs me £35 per week, worth every penny tho for the ride.
Everytime a Cupra passes by, and they will, it will always pass through your mind, "Perhaps I should have gone for..."

You know it's right..

I had the same dilemma before purchase and then I just thought well you only live once, what the hell!!

true-blue

mmm,

what are you CUPRA chaps getting average MPG then ? and what about steady 70mph on the motorway ?

Cheers.

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
at 70 in 6th youll get around 30mpg maybe slightly more with a stiff tail wind!

i have averaged around 28-29mpg in nearly 2 years/13k miles (i dont use it around the doors much)

MUFFIN

ready 2 return ;o)
Dec 3, 2006
North of Penzance
I don't even look at those naff on-board computers..
I fill up every Friday morning at the same garage on my way to work, this gives me a true cost per week.

Usually I get 300m to a full tank tho as i always reset the tripometer..

And I give it plenty..

true-blue

I've just done a quick spreadsheet and if CUPRA did 25mpg average and the tdi 170 did 40mpg, based on 12k business miles (13p per mile petrol / 10p per mile diesel - what I can claim) and 7000 personal miles (ott) I'd only be £67 a month worse off !

So is the Cupra worth the extra road tax, insurance (I'm 40 wife is 30) and £67 fuel bill ??

Cheers.

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
I don't even look at those naff on-board computers..
I fill up every Friday morning at the same garage on my way to work, this gives me a true cost per week.

Usually I get 300m to a full tank tho as i always reset the tripometer..

And I give it plenty..

i hope thats 'm' for miles and not meters :blink:

lesinge2k

Feb 18, 2009
Uttoxeter
I've just done a quick spreadsheet and if CUPRA did 25mpg average and the tdi 170 did 40mpg, based on 12k business miles (13p per mile petrol / 10p per mile diesel - what I can claim) and 7000 personal miles (ott) I'd only be £67 a month worse off !

So is the Cupra worth the extra road tax, insurance (I'm 40 wife is 30) and £67 fuel bill ??

Cheers.

I'd say so... if that is £67 per year, then that is just under £5.60 a month. The tax is £210... not sure what the TDi is, but not a great deal less...

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland

Cheers.

you should get more than 25mpg on decent runs. but then again, a derv should get more than 40mpg.
my insurance is £320, and the tax currently £210 (i think).

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location

Cheers.

You did a what?
seriously if you are going to the lengths of spreadsheets and figures walk straight past the Cupra , FR and look at the diesels.

on the other hand if you want a rewarding , good handling car that will put a smile on your face then Cupra all the way , then after a fw months get it remapped and you wont stop grinning ;)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise