Golf R and Leon Cupra (my thoughts)

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
  1. I know that it's not really relevant but for me this caption from the Pistonheads Sub 8 review pretty much sums up my feelings on the R - Cupra debate,

(Here's a simpler way to put it: in three days of driving the Leon I smiled more than in dozens driving our long-term Golf R. It's a bit edgy at times, you have to be brutal to get the best from it and with any moisture on the road the Golf is quicker. But as a hot hatch experience, as a car to derive some joy from, it's way more invigorating than the Golf and the standard Leon Cupra too.)
Sorry about the second post but I think I got people confused with the Cupra and Cupra R .

Reactions: Damo H

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I know this isn't quite what your on about but highlights something.

When reading the first reviews of the 300. It said the ST version was most fun in DSG FWD form, and that the DSG 4Drive although quicker to 60 was less rewarding. So what did Seat UK do? Not bother with the DSG FWD.

So helps highlight that the Golf R with 4WD, isn't as fun as the the Cupra with the Electronically controlled front diff.

Unfortunately for the R and 4Drive, the Haldex Electronically controlled LSD can't be fitted at the same time as the 4WD, as it uses the 4WD part of the gearbox outlet (driveshaft hole or whatever) to do its thing.

Now I wonder if fitting a proper LSD to a 4drive or Golf R would change things. Ford did it to liven up their latest Focus RS.

Deleted member 103408

Great car, bags of potential over the stock and its great to see the faces of the more expensive cousins in the rear view mirror.

omegamv6

Jul 23, 2017
I have owned a fwd 300 st for around a year, and have also driven a golf r estate extensively. I would say the golf is a far more usable car on U.K. roads, much more planted and significantly quicker in almost all situations. The cupra just struggles for traction all the time, quite comically so in cold / damp conditions. Sometimes the violence of the axle tramp is alarming, sounds like I’m going to rip the engine from it’s mounts. It might be ok on a smooth road on a warm summers day, but in typical U.K. weather on typical U.K. roads it struggles in my opinion.

Reactions: xyz

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I have owned a fwd 300 st for around a year, and have also driven a golf r estate extensively. I would say the golf is a far more usable car on U.K. roads, much more planted and significantly quicker in almost all situations. The cupra just struggles for traction all the time, quite comically so in cold / damp conditions. Sometimes the violence of the axle tramp is alarming, sounds like I’m going to rip the engine from it’s mounts. It might be ok on a smooth road on a warm summers day, but in typical U.K. weather on typical U.K. roads it struggles in my opinion.
A lot of it is down to the quality of tyres, then the rest can be fixed with a lower engine mount insert ~£50 or even better replacing the engine mount ~£200

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
I can agree with the statement of the 4drive being planted, but around a track (which is like once a year or so for me...) the 4drive tends to understeer a bit and it was not so much different from my previous Octavia vRS (as in: not so great)
So... This is a subjective question - we are all right, just depends what/how are we going to use the car - I forgive the track performance while I enjoying my winter months snow driving with the 4drive, the stable planted feel in the motorway and at speed and the quick handling on back roads, where the understeer cannot be felt.
The FWD with LSD also has its qualities, but for me personally, I rather have the 4drive :)

Deano j1971

Jan 5, 2018

Don’t have that problem in my St300 which is on par if not even better than the golf r estate, which looks like a very chubby pub landlord. Where as the St beats it hands down on looks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Don’t have that problem in my St300 which is on par if not even better than the golf r estate, which looks like a very chubby pub landlord. Where as the St beats it hands down on looks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah the Golf R in estate form looks ugly.

The best looking MQB car for me is the S3 Saloon for sure, but the sport back again is naff and the boot rubbish. Skoda before the facelift was preety but not enough grunt.

The ST is definitely the prettiest estate.

As for understeer on track. Sure I’ll be able to sort that ;)

Reactions: Deano j1971

Deleted member 103408

Sums it up I think (taken from the same site)

Leading me to the obvious conclusion - and this may come as a shock to some people - different people like different things. Shocking I know.
If you take a step back and look at the facts, this become obvious. The Golf R is the perfect car for someone who enjoys a fast, safe-feeling and very easy to drive performance car.

The truth is, for a large amount of the time you spend on the road, most people would enjoy those attributes.

However, the car really doesn't suit someone who demands more interaction or involvement.

Neither is wrong, they're just different, and for the latter camp there are options, not least that deposed champion of the internet from Munich. And me? Well, I'd like to think that I can remain impartial but I can't deny that a little more interaction would be nice. For example, it might be nice to be able to adjust the car on the throttle more readily, perhaps courtesy of some additional power. Now there is an idea....

Or put another way - horses for courses.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Sums it up I think (taken from the same site)

Leading me to the obvious conclusion - and this may come as a shock to some people - different people like different things. Shocking I know.
If you take a step back and look at the facts, this become obvious. The Golf R is the perfect car for someone who enjoys a fast, safe-feeling and very easy to drive performance car.

The truth is, for a large amount of the time you spend on the road, most people would enjoy those attributes.

However, the car really doesn't suit someone who demands more interaction or involvement.

Neither is wrong, they're just different, and for the latter camp there are options, not least that deposed champion of the internet from Munich. And me? Well, I'd like to think that I can remain impartial but I can't deny that a little more interaction would be nice. For example, it might be nice to be able to adjust the car on the throttle more readily, perhaps courtesy of some additional power. Now there is an idea....

Or put another way - horses for courses.
Short version get a Cupra for fun, or fit a rear ARB to the 4 drive :D

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
I suspect he is also going to have some work done on the engine.
You suspect well... :)
That is another thing not usually mentioned in the FWD vs AWD dilema - putting the power of a tuned car down.
I had a tuned Saab 9-3 Aero that was really fun to upset other cars on the motorway, but on a launch, it could sometimes be had by small cars with a 1.0 engine.

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
You suspect well... :)
That is another thing not usually mentioned in the FWD vs AWD dilema - putting the power of a tuned car down.
I had a tuned Saab 9-3 Aero that was really fun to upset other cars on the motorway, but on a launch, it could sometimes be had by small cars with a 1.0 engine.

Golf is quicker off the line and in anything other than dry definitely as my mate owns one but my Sub 8 is quicker on the go in the dry and more nimble and fun for me anyway but I like the Golf as well.

Reactions: xyz

Deleted member 103408

4wd is the best for putting down lots of power of that there is no doubt.

But you only have to watch the original Golf R vs Cupra 280 at Cadwell Park to see what the FWD Cupra is about

However the Cupra is not a 0 - 60 racer in my opinion its a 30 - 130 monster and further on if you have the limiter taken off.

having said that I had a race with a new Focus ST on the track and left him standing with no wheel spin or hop but mods make the difference.

Personally I prefer the older Golfs as they had a bit more fun about them but the new ones are great cars no doubt but I would not change my car for one simply because I have far to much fun in mine.

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
4wd is the best for putting down lots of power of that there is no doubt.

But you only have to watch the original Golf R vs Cupra 280 at Cadwell Park to see what the FWD Cupra is about

However the Cupra is not a 0 - 60 racer in my opinion its a 30 - 130 monster and further on if you have the limiter taken off.

having said that I had a race with a new Focus ST on the track and left him standing with no wheel spin or hop but mods make the difference.

Personally I prefer the older Golfs as they had a bit more fun about them but the new ones are great cars no doubt but I would not change my car for one simply because I have far to much fun in mine.

Totally agree with the 30-130 even with my stock car it pulls and pulls and definitely has so much grip especially in the dry but even in the wet with my PS4S tyres.

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
Concerning AWD, I will just casually drop this here:

...BTW, have a guess what am I going to be doing around February next year? ;)
Yeps - off to a winter ice track in the North of Finland with the Cupra 4drive. Much fun will be had and hopefully some nice video footage too ;)

Reactions: Damo H

Deleted member 103408

Very jealous that looks like real fun, Was that the track you were telling me about the other day.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members