Goodbye Leon, hello......Alfa 159!

emerycloth

Dec 12, 2010
Notts
Hi folks

Been a massive SEAT fan for a while now and up until May, loved my 07' Leon FR TDI. Thanks to this forum, got my injectors changed and picked up numerous other tips. But then, following a dodgy repair by the local dealer, my fuel pump gasket failed, which caused the pump to drag the contents of the sump through the engine and out the exhaust.

Suffice to say the car has never been the same since, and the DPF light has come on several times, when it has never before.

The dealer has stepped up to the plate and tried to fix it, had the DPF professionally cleaned etc, but the car really doesn't like country roads any more, when I've never had a problem with my driving routes previously.

So feeling a bit sad, I p/exed it the other week, for a bit of a wild card - a black Alfa 159 TI! It's a late 2009 170bhp diesel, with sat nav, leather etc

Very different drive to the Leon (read slower!), but a proper looker and filled with kit.

May be frying pan to fire but had to be done!! If I can remember how to upload pics I might post a couple.

Thanks to all, for advice and tips I've used over the years. It's forums like these that enhance ownership!!

emerycloth

Dec 12, 2010
Notts
SAM_0839800x600_zpse5cfac1a.jpg
[/IMG]
SAM_0837800x600_zps11d41cfb.jpg
[/IMG]
SAM_0841800x600_zps257631ac.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Benjic2

Aug 29, 2011
One of the best looking cars ever IMO. I had a Mito previous to the Leon and that was brilliant! The dealerships are fantastic too unlike Seat.

joolsvern

The biggest MEMBER here
Jun 22, 2009
Doncaster
That garage door is shocking, clashes with the lovely car (probably with any car), pillar box red is my recommendation.

Dezeze

Jun 4, 2011
Swindon
Mmmmmmmm, momma!
Absolutely stunning cars, makes me miss my 156 V6!

And don't you worry about the meagre 170bhp, they can EASILY keep up with an Aston Martin, ask James Bond!(Quantom Of Solace)

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
looks nice but good luck..... gearbox and clutch issues galore. think it should be part and parcel of the annual service

Don't forget the front upper suspension arms, egr valve, inlet manifold and if course steering racks.
One thing I would say is Alfa warranty is usually very good. If you've got a good dealer there will be no hassle whatsoever.
But I've worked on alfa's for 17 years and in warranty they are great but my god you need the warranty.
The depreciation is horrendous if you buy new.
The TI is the nicest spec and the cabin is a nice place to be.

AndyT_UK

Jan 21, 2011
YO30 / YO25
A very good looking car. Cant believe Alfa stopped making 159s without any replacement in sight.
Never been a fan of the owl faced Mito though. Giulietta looks stunning IMO.

MattBry

Hi folks

Been a massive SEAT fan for a while now and up until May, loved my 07' Leon FR TDI. Thanks to this forum, got my injectors changed and picked up numerous other tips. But then, following a dodgy repair by the local dealer, my fuel pump gasket failed, which caused the pump to drag the contents of the sump through the engine and out the exhaust.

Suffice to say the car has never been the same since, and the DPF light has come on several times, when it has never before.

The dealer has stepped up to the plate and tried to fix it, had the DPF professionally cleaned etc, but the car really doesn't like country roads any more, when I've never had a problem with my driving routes previously.

So feeling a bit sad, I p/exed it the other week, for a bit of a wild card - a black Alfa 159 TI! It's a late 2009 170bhp diesel, with sat nav, leather etc

Very different drive to the Leon (read slower!), but a proper looker and filled with kit.

May be frying pan to fire but had to be done!! If I can remember how to upload pics I might post a couple.

Thanks to all, for advice and tips I've used over the years. It's forums like these that enhance ownership!!

I,ve just bought another leon it looks the same as your old one,did your reg end with EJN??

emerycloth

Dec 12, 2010
Notts
Hi mate, yes, EJN was my old reg on an '07. It was mine for sure if the number plates have SEAT Huddersfield on them.

How are you getting on? Enjoying it? I owned it from Jan '10 to December '12 so if you have any questions on history etc just pm me.

MattBry

Hi,loving the car very nice condition
I see you had some issues with the dpf,I took the car for a early service at autowrld chesterfield and when they started the car up after been stood for an hour it filled there garage up with smoke lol.
So having checked it on there computer the tech found injector number four seal leaking instead of been around 0.6 number four was around 1.09 so just dumping fuel in all sorted now mate she's great just had the dpf removed and mapped off to round things off :D
Have you still got any old invoices at all mate can't see your email
Cheers Matt

emerycloth

Dec 12, 2010
Notts
Glad you're enjoying it. I did look after - I'd been hankering after one for ages and then it came along in the right colour, the Andromeda wheels, etc etc. Interesting to hear about the injector issue - they were replaced under the warranty a year or so ago. With the most recent problems I had with the car, the dealer never raised that as a potential cause of it all.

I was genuinely sorry to see the car go and if they'd managed to resolve the problems, I'd probably still have it (and not you!!). That said, I'd never have had the balls to remove the dpf and remap it! All I did was some cosmetic things, like the Cupra mirror covers and grille, and got the wheels refurbed.

It was pretty fast before it, must be awesome now!

I still have some receipts if you want them. Just pm me your address and I'll send them over.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise